Lapping A Barrel

Here are some processes that pac-nor and Douglas do and a thread that Frank Green describes with Bartlein.
I found that pac nor article just before starting this thread. Reading that made me want to order a barrel and see, too bad they had a fire and aren't back up and running yet

Savage button rifled barrels often "pock" or "pit" out leaving machine marks at the base of these "pocks". I've seen this on older CM barrels and some fairly recent.
The ironed over marks may be hidden but they are still there.
Imho

Savage button rifled barrels often "pock" or "pit" out leaving machine marks at the base of these "pocks". I've seen this on older CM barrels and some fairly recent.
The ironed over marks may be hidden but they are still there.
Imho
Are all savages button rifled?
Cuz my 22-250 they aren't ironed over at all. It looks like a plowed field inside that thing

www.riflebarrel.com/the-making-of-a-rifle-barrel/ I have been fortunate enough to have toured 2 button rifle barrel makers plants,,, whos' names would be easily recognized. Neither lapped or honed after reaming. One pulled the button, the other pushed the button. Hand lapping was done just before final inspection. I have used countless barrels from both companies over the past 27yrs. Both companies have their fair share of "winnings" in various competitions and shooting disciplines. I returned only 1 because of tool marks, and it was promptly fixed and returned to me with a note of apology from a person who identified themselves as 'the shift supervisor'. Not all barrel makers use the exact same processes. Some hand lap or hone after reaming and some do not. All the barrel makers have some things in common, and all have their own way and methods unique to their process.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.