Lapping A Barrel

It will actually copper up worse if it has to fine a finish.
Very interesting. I learned something new, yet again! Still doesn't make logical sense to me since he didn't show numbers or data, but it comes from a credible source for sure. Thanks

I have had some conversations with some very good BR shooters one told me his BR shooting friend had a barrel nitrited and when he got it back it coppered horrible.
He said they attributed it to being to slick inside, he said they could " rough it up" and it would be fine for about 50 rounds then start coppering horrible again.

I have had some conversations with some very good BR shooters one told me his BR shooting friend had a barrel nitrited and when he got it back it coppered horrible.
He said they attributed it to being to slick inside, he said they could " rough it up" and it would be fine for about 50 rounds then start coppering horrible again.
This is the exact opposite of what I thought would happen. I know most benchrest guys don't clean to bare metal and want to leave some copper, but I thought the mirror barrel finish would allow only so much to attach.
Be curious to see what Alex wheeler has to say also.

I know there is a "right way" and a " wrong way " to lap barrels.
In my opinion lead lapping a finished barrel is the right way on a finished barrel to keep it uniform from end to end.

I know there is or was a company in Wyoming that would take slightly undersized barrels and lead lap them to size they wanted.
I cant recall who it was.

I Polished a Pac Nor super match barrel once, poured a lap, just kept trying different grits. I got to 1200-1500 grit. Barrel ended up looking like a mirror in how it reflected the light from the bore scope.

Barrel shot very well, but was a copper mine. Bore turned solid gold in 75 shots chambered in 22 PPC shooting 52g Bergers at 3550.

There is a learning curve on using lead laps. Be prepared to pay the cost.

I have had around 75 barrels Black Nitride treated, 6 of them for myself. In mine I have not had any problems with copper build up. I have not had any reports from customers about any fouling concerns. I think the only problem I heard of was when one had some trouble with load development,,,, and he was having trouble trying to find a load for a 130g bullet in a .300 UM case. And, he was kinda' unflexable when it came to what bullet he insisted upon using. Go figure! I have read reports of accuracy issues after nitride treating. I have not experienced any myself, but I'm not BR shooter,,,,, just an avid varmint hunter. As for surface finish, I am under the impression the custom barrel makers (Krieger, Hart, Batlein, Lilja, etc.) don't go beyond 320-400g when lapping.

Knowledge always has a cost. I have a 7-08ai that I just pulled out of the safe for the test. More finicky than I'd like so we'll use it. From my understanding, copper isn't the enemy like carbon. I am going off of forums on that one though, since I haven't tested it enough with the borescope

Barrel mftrs have guys whose job it is to lap barrels all day. Yet they cut off or mark 3/4 inch at the muzzle to be taken off. Now how does anyone realistically think someone is going to home or gun shop hand lap a finished barrel and not damage the crown and last 3/4 inch? Does not pass the common sense test yet everyone thinks they can do it

I have had around 75 barrels Black Nitride treated, 6 of them for myself. In mine I have not had any problems with copper build up. I have not had any reports from customers about any fouling concerns. I think the only problem I heard of was when one had some trouble with load development,,,, and he was having trouble trying to find a load for a 130g bullet in a .300 UM case. And, he was kinda' unflexable when it came to what bullet he insisted upon using. Go figure! I have read reports of accuracy issues after nitride treating. I have not experienced any myself, but I'm not BR shooter,,,,, just an avid varmint hunter. As for surface finish, I am under the impression the custom barrel makers (Krieger, Hart, Batlein, Lilja, etc.) don't go beyond 320-400g when lapping.
Great info and personal experience. Thanks. Always looking for more experience

Barrel mftrs have guys whose job it is to lap barrels all day. Yet they cut off or mark 3/4 inch at the muzzle to be taken off. Now how does anyone realistically think someone is going to home or gun shop hand lap a finished barrel and not damage the crown and last 3/4 inch? Does not pass the common sense test yet everyone thinks they can do it
I'll throw her in the lathe and recrown :) Problem solved

Mram, Consider a Harrells tuner/brake on that finicky 7/08 AI....Get ready for the shock of a life time!

Can Black Nitride barrels be "set back" for a second/third chamber? Melonite barrels I read can not be set back, destroy's reamers...what I read.

With these high quality barrels, copper is not what I worry about as it easily comes out, the darn carbon is another can of worms.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.