Savage 116 weather war.

savage710

I would like to modify my .338 Savage 116 (pre-accutrigger). This is my grocery list. Will this work? If so what can I expect from this rifle
.338 Winchester Mag. To .300 Winchester Mag1. Stainless Steel match Grade Select .300 Win Mag
2. Bolt Head 3 Timney Trigger4. Firing Pin assembly5. timney trigger6. Scope mounts7. Nightforce 5.5-22x56
Thanks

Couple things you don't need:

The bolt head and firing pin assembly you have are the correct ones for a 300win. No need to change them.

I'd skip the Timney trigger and get the SSS for $86 from Lock, Stock, and Barrel.

Everyone has opinions on rings and bases. I like to get the most bang for the buck. So here's my go-to setup. Burris Extreme steel bases with Burris Signature Zee rings.

The rings have nylon inserts that protect the scope and allow you to offset the scope like a tapered base. You'll be able to offset at each ring .010".

Sounds like you looking at a Shilen barrel. Good choice. I'd get one from Jim Briggs @ Northland Shooters Supply. There are also a bunch of other great pre-fits available from other vendors.

In a word, YES it will work . There is no need to change your bolt head or firing pin assembly, the ones you have will work fine. As for the trigger I would recommend an SSS for about the same $$ as the Timney or better yet IMHO would be to add another 50 bucks or so and get the Rifle Basix SAV-2.

As far as accuracy is concerned, that depends on the quality of your barrel and ammunition and the stock bedding. I think the Savage action is as accurate as any other production action and far better than some of them. I don't know if you have decided on a barrel maker yet but PACNOR will make you a pre-threaded and chambered barrel for around $400.00.

Screw a good barrel into your action, bed it correctly in a solid stock and feed it top quality ammo and it should shoot 1/2 MOA groups or less with no problem.

Bob

Mike,

There are any number of good stocks on the market, it just depends on personal taste and end use. My 111 .300 WM is currently sitting in a Boyds laminate thumbhole, I bought it unfinished from Stockys . I won't be able to use it when I get my new barrel because the forend will not open up far enough to accept the larger diameter tube. My plan is to use a McRee Precision modular aluminum since it won't be a walking around gun but a sit and wait long range rig. I have not decided on a barrel diameter either but I will probably go with something similar to a medium Palma at least 28" long . A lot of guys on the Savage Shooters forum like the B&C Medalist as an upgrade stock. I would just decide how much you want to spend and then check out all the stocks that fit your budget.

Bob

I recently purchased a Stockade praire dog special for my Savage and it is really nice. Drop in fit with an aluminum bedding block and very reasonable price.
Kevin is a great guy to deal with.
I am adding a new barrel in the next few days.

I recently purchased a Stockade praire dog special for my Savage and it is really nice. Drop in fit with an aluminum bedding block and very reasonable price.
Kevin is a great guy to deal with.
I am adding a new barrel in the next few days.

Here's my Pdog. Notice I'm a lefty, so my choices were very limited. I love my Stockade.

S8000416.jpg

I have a Savage 300 win. It has a Ken Farrel base, IOR rings, Lupie 4.5 X 14 MarkIV, a Stockade "Mule Deer" stock, and an SSS trigger. Kevin @ Stockade trued the action and installed one of his bolt handles, he also lengthened the magazine box. I have taken part of a mouse pad and made my own cheek piece. This rifle shoots amazing, with 200 gr Nosler Partitions or Accubonds and H-1000, it shoots .6 MOA all day with A Maxes it gets below 1/2 MOA. Kevin also made the stock with a 15" LOP . That is awesome for a tall guy shootubg prone. I do not have a break on this rifle but Kevin did put some mercury in the stock. He is a good guy to deal with. Good Luck

Thank for the replys and I appreciate all of the responses. Its nice to have several sources of information when we take on a new task/sport. My club has a 600 yrd. range and I have been itching to shoot that far. It may take until feb. to complete the build. I'll post and let You/all know how it turned out.
Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.