Savage 116 replacement stock

ButterBean

LRH Team Member
I just did a 26 nosler on a savage old rum action flatback. Xcaliber carbon barrel 1.00"

I used the full alluminum bed hogue stock. I glass skim coated. I used a razor blade and shaved the rubber overlay thinner and have good 1/16th clearance or more.

Scope just came today so no word on accuracy yet. I have scoped repeater magnum at 8lbs.....finally
I love those stocks even though they don't get much love

ndking1126

I love those stocks even though they don't get much love
I bought one and really like the rubberized texture. What I was really turned off by was the aluminum bedding block. On mine the bedding block was recessed, and the rear action screw went into a small, 3 prong "tower" (for lack of a better word) that made minimal contact. Is that what yours looks like?

ButterBean

LRH Team Member
I bought one and really like the rubberized texture. What I was really turned off by was the aluminum bedding block. On mine the bedding block was recessed, and the rear action screw went into a small, 3 prong "tower" (for lack of a better word) that made minimal contact. Is that what yours looks like?
I've never had one for a Savage but I had a bunch in Rems, I'm also doing a Savage 116 and looking at stock options

Last edited:

grouse

LRH Team Member
Yes. This is because unlike most rifles, savages are very sensitive to rear tang pressure.

ndking1126

They shoot best when the tang is floating. It’s probably intentional
I considered that possibility, but in the end decided Hogue probably didn't know better than everyone else. Of course I could be very wrong, but i decided to send it back. I ended up getting another B&C stock since I know they are accurate. I was really hoping it would have worked out, but oh well haha.

whirlwindjml

Mine looked weird as well. I bedded mine there at the rear mount. I did not bed it all the way back by the safety. My first group was a nice clover. So I'm hopeful to have a load soon.

Recent Posts