Savage 116 Long Range in 300 WM upgrades

my recommendation, as was hinted by another, is to not put much into this. I found stocky's to be heavy and did not fot my savage. bottom line is the action is fine for an inexpensive hunting rifle, but tuff to improve..just a poor place to start. get the brake, shoot for a while and get a rem 700 or better later and work on it

Yes, of course i expect a change. I've just heard stories of accuracy ruined in good rifles from botched brake installations so i want to take it to someone who knows what they're doing.

"I" cannot speak for the "accuracy" of those stories you heard or the "actual" accuracy of the rifle before the muzzle threading/muzzle brake installation but all we can do is to try to help you in your decision-making. What you do with it is entirely up to you. You need to be able to synthesize the information that is being presented to you.

When I first moved to Montana in 2003 (thanks to the US Air Force), I was on the same boat. I need a muzzle brake install (my very first) on my Savage 111F in .300 WM but I did not know any gunsmith. Later, I found out that the long time to town gunsmith recently passed away. I received one recommendation from a friend of an acquaintance to see a gunsmith in the neighboring town. I took the chance on Dave and we became close friends. I am fortunate to have access to at 5 reputable gunsmiths (1 of which is 2 miles from my house) within an hour's drive, but today, Dave remains my go-to gunsmith.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.