Savage 110 high country

High round counts are rather relative. Shoot 1k rounds a year and your 7mm or 300wm doesnt last long. I dont care if the barrel matches, I do like the fact that it is stainless and coated, and the barrel channel would work with a Proof CF barrel. Going to get a Bighorn and use prefits.
So let me get this straight...you are going to throw a 1000$ barrel on a savage action?

So let me get this straight...you are going to throw a 1000$ barrel on a savage action?

Read my last line again... I was going to get a High Country but I can't put bottom metal on it that can take AICS CIP mags. I want a rifle that I can load long for. Also...why not get a CF barrel for hunting and burn out the factory barrel/replace with another steel barrel? Barrels are disposable. Hence my response earlier where I said I would not get a Browning. Then the whole rifle is disposable.

Just what's wrong with a Savage
Nothing and I own 3 of them but their actions are less than desirable. Not smooth. They are great for budget semi-custom builds. If I were dropping 1000$ on a barrel it would go into a better action. The 3 savages I own all sport after market barrels that I put on myself. The cheapest being 250$ and the most expensive being 450$. The 250$ one shoots .25moa when I do my part and does sub .5moa all day long. Just seems like such a waste to put such a crazy expensive barrel that does nothing for gaining accuracy onto a less than desirable action. Put a light contour after market barrel on it and be done with it. Skip the expensive CF barrel unless you are doing a crazy expensive build. Just my two cents.

Read my last line again... I was going to get a High Country but I can't put bottom metal on it that can take AICS CIP mags. I want a rifle that I can load long for. Also...why not get a CF barrel for hunting and burn out the factory barrel/replace with another steel barrel? Barrels are disposable. Hence my response earlier where I said I would not get a Browning. Then the whole rifle is disposable.
Why would the browning be disposable?!? A gunsmith can easily change the barrel for you and it's not that expensive. You would be much better served buying a used Remington 700 and building on that over going to a savage. See my above post. I have savage rifles and love them but I'd never put 1000$ barrel on them when a 250-450$ light contour barrel will do just as good.

Nothing and I own 3 of them but their actions are less than desirable. Not smooth. They are great for budget semi-custom builds. If I were dropping 1000$ on a barrel it would go into a better action. The 3 savages I own all sport after market barrels that I put on myself. The cheapest being 250$ and the most expensive being 450$. The 250$ one shoots .25moa when I do my part and does sub .5moa all day long. Just seems like such a waste to put such a crazy expensive barrel that does nothing for gaining accuracy onto a less than desirable action. Put a light contour after market barrel on it and be done with it. Skip the expensive CF barrel unless you are doing a crazy expensive build. Just my two cents.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...d-set-with-a-factory-savage-338-lapua.225457/

Why would the browning be disposable?!? A gunsmith can easily change the barrel for you and it's not that expensive. You would be much better served buying a used Remington 700 and building on that over going to a savage. See my above post. I have savage rifles and love them but I'd never put 1000$ barrel on them when a 250-450$ light contour barrel will do just as good.
Please find me a gunsmith that will rebarrel my Browning that isn't expensive. I have looked and by the time I get a blank, send my action, get it chambered twice I might as well buy a Bighorn Origin and put on prefits. I found McGowen will do it for 220 plus the barrel at 325 plus shipping both ways and a +/-20 week wait. 555+shipping both ways. That's as cheap as I have found and costs more than an ABolt3 and almost as much as some xbolts. You get an xbolt pro at 1,600 and then rebarrel it at another 650 and you are at the cost of some of the customs. Bighorn@850 KRG Bravo 350 TriggerTech 180 Shouldered Prefit barrel 275-550 for stainless....
You rebarrel it again and you are in the red, as you can get prefits that you just put on at home with the customs or even a Tikka. As far as why put an expensive barrel on the Savage...The same reason you would put one on an expensive build. You want a light precision barrel that is stiffer than a pencil barrel so you can pack it up the side of the mountain. That doesn't change with what action you have. Also, I would not buy a Remington and then not have the action trued which means once again...might as well buy a custom. At least that is my thought process.

Please find me a gunsmith that will rebarrel my Browning that isn't expensive. I have looked and by the time I get a blank, send my action, get it chambered twice I might as well buy a Bighorn Origin and put on prefits. I found McGowen will do it for 220 plus the barrel at 325 plus shipping both ways and a +/-20 week wait. 555+shipping both ways. That's as cheap as I have found and costs more than an ABolt3 and almost as much as some xbolts. You get an xbolt pro at 1,600 and then rebarrel it at another 650 and you are at the cost of some of the customs. Bighorn@850 KRG Bravo 350 TriggerTech 180 Shouldered Prefit barrel 275-550 for stainless....
You rebarrel it again and you are in the red, as you can get prefits that you just put on at home with the customs or even a Tikka. As far as why put an expensive barrel on the Savage...The same reason you would put one on an expensive build. You want a light precision barrel that is stiffer than a pencil barrel so you can pack it up the side of the mountain. That doesn't change with what action you have. Also, I would not buy a Remington and then not have the action trued which means once again...might as well buy a custom. At least that is my thought process.
Around me, gunsmiths charge 250$ for brownings. Again my point is, don't put a CF barrel on a savage. Put a medium to lighter contour barrel on it and save money. CF barrels are really unnecessary for a budget build. They are very cool looking. They are lighter weight but similar weight to a medium contour regular barrel. They heat up weird so are not great for competitions or tons of shooting. I would never buy one with the intentions of shooting it out and replacing it. I would by one to put on a custom rig which was my primary hunting rig that saw just a small amount of range use.

Bigeclipse, 250 for Labor correct? Then the barrel blank on top of that. As far as shooting out the CF. The idea was not to shoot that one out and only use it for mountain hunting in the fall. The rest of the time, use a heavy barrel prefit that can be replaced at home to shoot out. I am going with the Bighorn custom rig and am going to have multiple barrels. One CF and the others steel.

I love my 300 win high country. Shoots as good as you can shoot. First 10 shoots at 100 yards produced a 3 shot group by two people @.563 MOA

Attachments

• IMG_20191124_191817482.jpg
    IMG_20191124_191817482.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20191124_192013424.jpg
    IMG_20191124_192013424.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_20191124_192039661.jpg
    IMG_20191124_192039661.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 140
  • IMG_20191124_192030917.jpg
    IMG_20191124_192030917.jpg