Savage 110 High Country in 7 Rem Mag

bluedog69

Hello! New here. Have read a lot off of this forum over the last 20? years or so.

Anyway, my wife and I just bought each other a High Country for our 29th anniversary. I got the 7 mag, she got a 30-06.
My 9 year old, 12 year old, and I shot 3 shots out of it at 100. I did scrub the barrel before shooting. Heavy greasy gunk in barrel
as usual. Long story short the first three landed in a 5/8" group at 100. This was plain Jane cheap 150 gr Winchester ammo.

First one chambered extremely hard, second, and third weren't bad. I tried a 4th shell...really tight! 5th wasn't bad. We ran out of time and only printed the one group, but it looks like with handload I should have a shooter!!!

I was concerned about the possible "super tight" chamber. So after thinking a bit I remembered where I had another box of factory ammo different brand.
Luckily I ran 10 rounds through it(just chambered them) and they all ran buttery smooth through it. So for what ever reason that box of Winchesters is really funky!!!
I will have to shoot them in my old 1980's Rem 700, it has a very loose chamber.

Now I do have a new problem to deal with though. My 9 year old and 12 year old both want a 7 mag just like it!(this was our first braked rifle WOW is all I can say)

Here are the first three hand loads out of my wife's 30-06. They are a starting load of IMR 4350. All I have is magnum primers so I started low. May just leave it need to get the chrony on it to see where they are at. Ten rounds total through the gun.
2C3FD11B-DE4A-448E-8EA6-0E2BB24E450C.jpeg

.75" and very low recoil.

Looks like you're off to a good start, and yes that is a "good" problem with your sons. If the kids want to shoot, let em shoot lol! Does the brake make that much difference? I have a R700 7mag and contemplating the brake but never shot anything with one.

I was concerned about the possible "super tight" chamber. So after thinking a bit I remembered where I had another box of factory ammo different brand.
Hmm I'd be concerned too. You could black out the bullet first, and then the case at the range next time. Then you could see contact points of the bullet or case. I typically don't trust new firearms until I test them so I don't put live rounds in them at home. BTW that rifle's a shooter! nice to see the kids wanting 7mm RM!

Just a thought. You could call Winchester to see if they'll exchange it or send a voucher. At the min they might be interested to hear of your issues since the different ammo shot fine.

Here are the first three hand loads out of my wife's 30-06. They are a starting load of IMR 4350. All I have is magnum primers so I started low. May just leave it need to get the chrony on it to see where they are at. Ten rounds total through the gun.
Looks like you're off to a good start, and yes that is a "good" problem with your sons. If the kids want to shoot, let em shoot lol! Does the brake make that much difference? I have a R700 7mag and contemplating the brake but never shot anything with one.
They shoot everything they can. Stick bows, compounds, BB guns, blow guns, PCP air rifles, shotguns, little rifles, and big rifles. Twelve year old thinks he wants a 300 WIN Mag after shooting my friends and it has no brake.

My old 1980's Rem 700 7 mag didn't kick as bad as most 270's or 30-06's I shot.
Yes this new Savage with the brake is probably about like or less than a 243. Muzzle hardly jumps up 2" maybe without holding it at all.

Last edited:
Just a thought. You could call Winchester to see if they'll exchange it or send a voucher. At the min they might be interested to hear of your issues since the different ammo shot fine.
I already shot the whole box up. About every third or fourth shell would hardly cam over.
I did use these super tight shells to test my chamber out. I used a set of Redding competition shell holders I bought 30 years ago. Resized it with the 10 thou, 8, 6, 4, and 2. The two made it go in but still a little resistance. Then I used a regular shell holder which did measure 2 thou less. Then it went fine.
So when Savage says they minimum headspace with the barrel nut they sure did with this one. Run the die down tight, and I'll get about 2 thou shoulder bump.

I used a set of Redding competition shell holders I bought 30 years ago. Resized it with the 10 thou, 8, 6, 4, and 2. The two made it go in but still a little resistance. Then I used a regular shell holder which did measure 2 thou less. Then it went fine.
Sounds like this ain't your first rodeo. Glad it all worked out for you. Gonna get expensive outfitting the kids too.But what a great way to spend the day with the family!

So I got a chance to shoot my 7 mag again with hand loads. So far it has shot 1.125",1", 1", 7/8" with Retumbo. 75gr, 75gr, 74.6gr, 74.2gr respectively. They hit just about the same POI. All 12 shots in same 1.125 hole. I also wasn't taking much time to let barrel cool. Wanted to see if it was going to string with heat.

Next I tried IMR 4350. I liked what the first three did! Going to have to try a few more.
Three shots in 3/8". I shot one and my nine year old shot the other two!!! It was a good evening!
9EC0AEFD-53CD-46B8-90AE-5FD641C8FF27.jpeg

Picture looks a shade over 3/8" but I had to move phone to the side to get shadow out of the way. I hope this wasn't a fluke.
(Group between 10 & 10 3/8")