Same ol argument

Threejs

I'm building a new rifle that is going to be as all around as I can get. A 7rem mag finished at about 7#. I am having a tough time with optics. I REALLY want a NIghtforce. But the higher power (3-15 or atacr) are so bulky I'm stuck to the 2.5-10nxs. I would like more power than 10 so I'm thinking about the trust old leupy 4.5-14x40. I would get M1 turrets. So I have some more foolish ?s that I need you guys to push me into the decision. Here is a list of weighing factors.

1. Tracking of scope must be perfect.
2. Durability
3. Power range
4. Weight.

I did not put price on my list. I have saved for 5+ years and finally going through with it. But the leupy is half or less the price and that makes it attractive.

Thanks for any help.

I'm defiantly not the guy to ask. I have a wife, and 3 small kids to feed and put through college some day. So spending major bucks on my own toys isn't always easy to justify.

I just finished a 280ai build, and I went with a VX3 3.5-10 CDS. It's a dedicated hunting rifle, and I believe it's good to 600 yards on big game animals. Some day, I may upgrade. I really like the VX6. The Nightforce SHV line is pretty attractive for price range.

But, that VX3 4.5 - 14 may be a perfect fit for you. You could probably live your whole life thinking it was the greatest scope… until you visit these LRH forums and all the sudden feel inadequate again.. :D

I've heard good things about the Bushnell scopes. I wouldn't use their tacticle because I prefer second focal plane reticle. I do have a 6500 4 1/2-30X50 (30mm tube) that I really like. It is 22.5 ounces. I prefer my Leupold VX-6 4-24X52. It's also 22.5 ounces 34mm tube). With either one I can see 6.5 caliber bullet holes in cardboard at 410 yards.

I'd take a look at that new Leupold VX-3I in 4.5x14x50 The glass is upgraded and the new side focus is a nice option to go along with a better power adj knob. All these upgrades for a cheaper price than the older VX-3.
I'm getting ready to try one out for my new build.

Have you checked out the Nightforce SHV line? They are a nice scope for the price point. The Burris XTR II's are EXCELLENT also bully.

I run an ATACR Enhanced on my long range rig. It's bulky but that glass is worth it ESPECIALLY when those deer pop out just a few minutes before sunset :D

Ive had a few of the 4-14x50 Leo's been good scopes for me .For a hunting set up my son runs one.Wacked some nice game with that set up on my 340 and 325wsm.

I have run leupy most of my hunting career. And they have always held zero very well. I have heard negative things about their tracking and durability. My experiences were all good. But I have never tried to dial the reticle for the shot. I just sighted them in and did the ole hold over. I keep reading about the durability of nightforce and how they track absolutely perfect.

I'm in the same position. I'm after a lighter scope with a reticle like the MOAR, a low power (2.5-3) and a high power in the range of 10-15, with exposed, accurate turrets. I spent time at the Great American Outdoor Show yesterday looking at the options after many hours of research over the past months or so.

I keep going back to the NXS 2.5-10x42. At 21oz, it seems to be the best balance of those features. The Swaro's are close, but I really don't like the reticle options in the BT models and they are limited to one rotation.

I may try to wait for the Razor LH, but I expect them to be in short supply once they actually make it onto the market.

-David

I wonder how many scopes NF would sell if they built a 4-14 or 3-15x 42 that weighed under 22oz. And had a zero stop reticle. I don't want a 50mm because they are too bulky. I like the 4-16 atacr but it weighs 30oz. Maybe I'm being too petty. I'm also leaning heavy to the 2.5-10x42 nxs

My Leo's have been on 1000's of tough hunts and horse back trips,with rifle being broken. I havent had a problem.The newer model Leo's in mark 4 and up are not a cheap type scope and are in the military lineup.The NF is a great optic if weight is not a factor to you.The reason they are heavier is the way they are built which also makes for the durability.Its hard to have both but also depends how hard you are on equipment.I hunt where a shot up a ridge or across canyon is common so I favor 14x or more.I spend 35-50 days out each fall so my main LR is a custom light packer with 3-24x52 optics,but Im preped for LR.

A VX-6 3-18x is a great hunting scope, I like them better for hunting than the NXS, or better for carrying. I have had no tracking issues with the two VX-6's I have. The clicks feel a little mushy until you get used to them but they are very precise.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.