Not all Rem 700 are the same

Sam11

This might save someone else some grief. I have a Remington 700 that was a 300 Ultra Mag that I picked up just for the action. Most people can't shoot these things so you can find some good bargains out there. When I went to install my Near Manufacturing tapered base for a Remington long action it would not fit. I worked with Richard Near and found that a Weatherby Mark V base fit perfectly. I called Remington and they confirmed that the scope hole pattern is different on the actions they use for the Ultra Mags. So, in fact, Remington does have at least two different long actions.

If you haven't already tried one you would do yourself a favor by trying one of Richard's tapered scope bases. Besides the fact that they are of extremely high quality, Richard is great to work with. Here is his website: http://www.scopebases.com Like I said I hope this saves someone a bunch of time and I also hope this is not a repeat of another post.

I always thought that there were basically two actions. The short and long. However, I am no expert. I did read a post here or one of the other forums stating that the long action and what some people called the mag. action were the same thing. When I talked to Remington's customer service I din't ask about any other specs that were off from the other actions. Maybe someone else who knows these Remington actions can educate us.

Rem 700 is just a long or short action. Win. model 70 is long, short, and magnum length(.375 H&H, STW length). First one I've heard that Rem. has changed scope base screw locations on the Ultra's though, mine was standard spacing... still a standard long action though. Richard has not listed a 700 LA "Ultra Mag" length base as of yet, nor have I seen anyone else. How new did Rem. say this change was? And did they give a reason for making it?

I din't ask when the change was made nor did the fellow offer any more info. I had my problem cured with the Wby. Mark V base and was just interested to know whether I got a messed up receiver or if there was another reason. I got this rifle right at two years ago from now. It was new in the box but I don't have any idea of when it was mfg. Richard said he will have to get the blue prints from Remington. In case anyone asks I did try the Rem. base on a long action 270 I have and it fit on there just like it is supposed to.

I tried a Leupold 1 piece right hand long action dove-tail base on my new 300 ultra today and it fit fine. Maybe your's was just machined wrong??? I have seen holes drilled wrong, and have delt with the wrong part in a box. Maybe this was your expierience??? MAYBE!

[ QUOTE ]
...if you don't mind a dumb question, what is "dead mule" recoil reducer... thanks... Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

Larry, This is a liquid mercury filled tube made of different medals depending on brand that is used to absorb recoil, and it can go into a shotgun mag tube, or in the stock hidden under recoil pad or you can get them for the forearm and machine out forearm and glass in or they have clamp on styles which you can clamp onto the firearm and allow it to do its thing.

They vary in lenght from 3" to 5" and come .5 to 1" in diamiter approx.

Thanks,
Ben

list of actions

short action - .223 bolt face

Short action - .308 bolt face feed lips probably wider then .223

Short action - magnum bolt face feed lips and other parts of action opened up for fat saum wsm cartridges.

Long action - 30-06 bolt face 270 etc

Long action - magnum bolt face feed lips opened up some

Long action - magnum bolt face ultra action feed lips and other stuff (unsure what other stuff is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif) opened up to fit big rum case.

Short and Long action - Detachable mags the feed rails are opened up. For the DBM lips.

Some older receivers have engraving on the outside of them

Mag boxes -

short action 223 box
short action 308 box
Long action 30-06 box ...mags won't really work
Long action magnum box...I have some times heard the RUM boxes are bigger but Im not sure. 30-06 270s etc will work in this box.

Ben... thanks for the info... I was able to find the "Dead Mule" on the web... was just a little curious since I hadn't seen this before; sounds like you are happy with it on your rifles, huh?

Bryan D: I did assume I ended up with a receiver that wasn't quite to spec and that may be the case and the Remington rep was just blowing smoke about a different scope hole pattern. Maybe they had a run of some receivers that were out of spec, who knows. Sam.

I've always thought the Mark V scope bases where the exact same as the 700 bases.

Maybe not but, alot of base manu list the same part for each.

Reloader

I always understood the same thing about the Rem. bases on Wby. But it is a yes and no thing. Rem. two-piece bases work on Wby. and some one-piece Rem. bases work but only capture one screw hole on the back of the Wby. receiver. At least that is what I know about them. Also the receiver heights are a bit off between the two. Anyway, that is why I tried the Wby. base and as stated before it fits just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts