Same handload different grouping issue

Clean your barrels real good and chrono your loads. Still sounds like your losing your node. I like the original Magneto Speed chrono. It doesn't seem to loosen w/ recoil like the MS-V3.
This seems exactly like what their doing, I just haven't ran through the chronograph yet, I'll have to try that.
Thanks just didn't think about using the chronograph for accuracy issues.

I'll bet you are a pretty good shooter, and I'll take your word you are a competent handloader.

The only other thing all these rifles share is environmental conditions. Changing light and mirage can make a group go from 0.5MOA to 1.5MOA. And it can happen very quickly, I've seen it on more than one occasion. The air suddenly reaches a temp that increases mirage dramatically, the sun comes out from behind a cloud...it goes on.

The only way to eliminate this as a possible factor is to shoot them in heavy overcast or as early as possible in the morning. That will tell the tale.
I know exactly what you mean and I agree 100 percent but I've shot them in all types of conditions from sunny to cloudy and hot to cold and low humidity to high humidity.

As your barrel breaks in, your muzzle velocity increases therefore your node(harmonic vibration) will be closer to the muzzle rather than the receiver. The lighter contour barrels(such as sporters) will exaggerate this more than a heavy contour(#4-up). Usually you need to back down on your powder and it doesn't take much. I would reduce by 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 grains x 5 cartridges each then see which one groups. It appears from your first post that you were zeroing at either 100 or 200 yds.. Also chrono your loads so you know where the sweet spot is w/ the powder/bullet you are using. This is what I do and it works for me. There are several posts on this and other forums that discuss barrel speed during break in. You would be amazed at how much it increases from shot to shot getting there.

Sounds like possible stresses in the barrels. You could try pressure bedding the forearm on the Ruger. I think people stacked cut business cards under the barrel near the tip of the forearm until they got the right height or pressure. That way they could see if it helped.

As your barrel breaks in, your muzzle velocity increases therefore your node(harmonic vibration) will be closer to the muzzle rather than the receiver. The lighter contour barrels(such as sporters) will exaggerate this more than a heavy contour(#4-up). Usually you need to back down on your powder and it doesn't take much. I would reduce by 0.1, 0.2, and 0.3 grains x 5 cartridges each then see which one groups. It appears from your first post that you were zeroing at either 100 or 200 yds.. Also chrono your loads so you know where the sweet spot is w/ the powder/bullet you are using. This is what I do and it works for me. There are several posts on this and other forums that discuss barrel speed during break in. You would be amazed at how much it increases from shot to shot getting there.
I already jumped up .1, .2 and .3 grains and went down the same as I always do with every gun I load for, still didn't help much but next step I'll run them through the chronograph

Got the Grendel shooting decent, loaded 30.3 grns of cfe223 it shot 1.75" group then jumped back up to 30.5 grns and it shot 5/8" group which is good enough for a woods hunting rig

It's common after getting warmed up on the bench, to really lay into the gun, inducing stress. I try to make a mental checklist of where the stock sits in the bag so not to skip on the sling stud, how hard I push my shoulder into the gun, how hard I pull the gun to my shoulder, how hard my cheek contacts the butt, trigger press and follow through. Also, note your shoulder pocket muscle tension where the buttstock rests. Flex it and push your fingers into it with X lbs. of pressure. Then relax that muscle completely and push with the same force. Big difference huh? Sometimes it's the gun and sometimes not. I try to consider myself as just another component to the load that may need some tweaking.

I know what you mean, consistent repetition but sometimes it gives me such anxiety I can't even breathe right. My best shooting is when I'm really p***ed off or on live game

I have a friend that gets anxiety when shooting groups. What has helped him is to use a tall target and dial up till you can't see the group while aiming at poa. Or shoot at a target far enough away you can't see impacts. Hope this helps

Another thing to consider. Primers... Almost nobody tests their primers. I have a 6.5 Creed that has been shooting so-so. It was doing fairly well to start with but things began to open up. Frustrating... I was using Federal Match primers. I picked an arbitrary load about 4% below max listed and tested some other primers. Here's what I got (pic). All had some degree of vertical stringing but the Winchester primer was obviously performing closer to what I was hoping and nearly within my own personal range of error. Now I'll go back and rebuild that load with that particular primer. Usually Winchester primers are not the best primer but as always, you don't know until you know. Orange dot is 3/4".
Primers.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.