Sambar Down Under

G'day Topshot. Back in Melb now, how you been.
Done any Sambar hunting lately?. I plan on going next week.
Would've gone this week but the gun show is on. Don't really need anything but I'm taking a barrel to a bloke there to carbon wrap for me.
Had one done before in USA and they work well. Gives you heavy barrel performance in a light weight.
Haven't seen this blokes work yet but I expect it should be pretty good

HI Dongle
T/shot is up high at the moment.. I'm around the corner from you.

I have a ABS wrapped barrel awaiting export Benchmark 3 land 7mm 28 icch Sendero with nut for a brake.. and the list keeps going from there for my light LR rifle.. Just sold my edge..

Ridge rider got back today plenty of deer(sambar) seen.. took a snack pack with his 325wsm A bolt titanium.

To whom are you taking a barrel to be wrapped? I hope its cut rifling ? Who is doing the wrap some are better than others..!

I sent my Minox back wouldnt hold zero on the 7mm..swapped for vortex Viper..

I have other high end optics aswel..

Hi Signature, thanks for the contact. Good to talk.
My barrel is a Lothar Walther polyganol 30 cal to be chambered for .308. Carbon is a sleeve, not wrapped like I thought it would be but that's OK. I spoke with the bloke who's doing it and he has the same and shoots sub 1/4 MOA. No BS.
The one I had before was Broughton 5c carbon wrapped by ABS on a Rem700 action. Cost a bundle but I never did find find out how it shot. (It's a long story and embarassing)
My barrel is getting done by Steve Mead up in NSW. Do you know him?.
Sorry to hear about your Minox. Hope I don't have the same probs

Hi Dongle,
Yep been doing some sambar hunting.
I saw a heap of animals but nothing huge so I shot a meat animal for the freezer.
I put up some photo's of my last hunt showing my hide and the view from it.
Also the damage that the .338 RUM did to the front shoulder of the Sambar. The skin was removed to show internal damage..

b%20021%20(Medium).jpg

hide1.jpg

hide2.jpg

hide3.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, that sure is impressive. what ranges are we looking at in those pics.
What bullet did you use

Oooooh that is impresive. What rifle and groups do you need to shoot that?.
I'd immagine it'd have to be some heavy barrel target set-up

Oooooh that is impresive. What rifle and groups do you need to shoot that?.
I'd immagine it'd have to be some heavy barrel target set-up
No actually it was shot using my light weight long range rifle.
This is a Remington 700 in .338 RUM with 27.5" number 4 profile Pac-Nor stainless barrel with 0.75" D.E. brake. Anything under 800 yards is toast.

nargun1.jpg

You forgot to mention what groups you shoot.
Just wondering how consistent you need to be at those ranges

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I currently live on the Sunshine Coast Qld and will be moving back to Vicco. I currently hunt Red deer up here and will definitely be missing that when I move down. I'm going to start hunting sambar and was interested while reading this post that you guys use such large calibres. I use a Tikka LSA 65 in 270 win for the Reds and have been looking for a 30-06 or 9.3x62 to use in Vic. I also have an 8mm mauser (I love mausers)that I can use. I was under the impression that most shots are taken under 200 meters while hunting sambar. I have also considered getting 7mm Rem but I didn't want to go the magnums. Are they really required or is it just personal preference.

Most shots taken I have taken hunting reds have been between 120m to 330m but obviously you guys have taken very long shots at sambar. Could you give me a low down on the ranges at which you encounter the deer and does it make a difference in which areas of victoria you hunt. Also why don't they allow the use of 6.5x55 on sambar when the swedes shoot moose with this caliber, I don't get that.

Cheers

Jorge

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I currently live on the Sunshine Coast Qld and will be moving back to Vicco. I currently hunt Red deer up here and will definitely be missing that when I move down. I'm going to start hunting sambar and was interested while reading this post that you guys use such large calibres. I use a Tikka LSA 65 in 270 win for the Reds and have been looking for a 30-06 or 9.3x62 to use in Vic. I also have an 8mm mauser (I love mausers)that I can use. I was under the impression that most shots are taken under 200 meters while hunting sambar. I have also considered getting 7mm Rem but I didn't want to go the magnums. Are they really required or is it just personal preference.

Most shots taken I have taken hunting reds have been between 120m to 330m but obviously you guys have taken very long shots at sambar. Could you give me a low down on the ranges at which you encounter the deer and does it make a difference in which areas of victoria you hunt. Also why don't they allow the use of 6.5x55 on sambar when the swedes shoot moose with this caliber, I don't get that.

Cheers

Jorge
Jorge,
You will be fine with those calibres for the distances you mention. Most hunters use .30-06 size cartridges on sambar but they dont shoot them as far away as what we do.
The 6.5x55 is not legal because the ADA idiots talked the DSE into making the .270 as the minimum. A 6.5x55 would certainly kill a sambar just as well as a .270/303 which is about the smallest legal sized case.
Once alert to the hunter and all pumped up, a big sambar can be very hard to drop but undisturbed sambar are put down quite easy with a well placed shot. So your ability as a hunter and marksman plays a big part.
Sambar however are much harder to kill than Reds which I consider soft by comparison.

There's been many Sambar taken with the smaller calibres before the legal requirements were set. I've spoken to one of the panel members who set the standards and he recieved many complaints from proficient hunters who regularly scored these animales with 6 & 6.5 mm bullets.
I also know of 2 who have taken 20 plus each with the 308.
For me personally I just like a fat bullet up to whatever calibre I can manage recoil wise. Previously I used a 9.3x62. I also had a 375H&H but that hurt me. My theory being a fatter and heavier bullet will do more damage and kill quicker, I also like the 376 styer because I like custom jobs and this is just a little exotic.
When hunting Sambar or any critter though, most important is shot placement and taking the animal when their not spooked. If you can do those 2 things you're pretty much guarranteed of a quick kill but shoot a running Sambar or when he's alert and you may have to go look for him.
If your favorite calibre is 270, 30/06, 308 or whatever if it's leagal and you're confident and comfortable using it then that's the one to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.