Under 150 yard scopes

But I still use low powered variables on my duty type AR's so low powered variables are still worthy contenders. But if going after bears and such I'd stick to the KISS system whether it's a fixed low powered, red dot, or halo system.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24 on my AR platform. May be something to look into. Gives you the pros of having a 1 power (shoot with both eyes open, etc.), but also would let you turn magnification up to four power for a longer shot. 150 yard can be a poke with only a 1 power optic. Just leave it on 1 power and if you need to crank to 4 you can. I think it is discontinued by Vortex, but you may be able to find one somewhere.

I'll say this. I went with a fixed 2.5X because of Leupold's reputation of being very tough. So if bears might be on the list make sure the scope is tough and reliable. Murphy is alive and well.

Surprisingly, the "inexpensive" Bushnell "dusk to Dawn" 1 3/4 to 4 is very good! I have used one on lever actions and ARs many times. I have had them on 444s and 45-70s. I felt no need to put my 1 1/2x5 Leupold on instead! Worth a try! :)

Surprisingly, the "inexpensive" Bushnell "dusk to Dawn" 1 3/4 to 4 is very good! I have used one on lever actions and ARs many times. I have had them on 444s and 45-70s. I felt no need to put my 1 1/2x5 Leupold on instead! Worth a try! :)

I black bear hunt in Maine over bait. Most of the shots are taken during the last twenty to thirty minutes of shooting time. I have Leupold VXR 2 X 7s on the Whelen and .358 and a 1.5 X 5 on the 45-70. I really use the lit reticle, darkness, black bear, black cross hairs are not a good combination . When it starts to get really dark, I might go up to 3 or 4 power, but never higher. For me a low-powered, variable scope works.

Hawke 1.5-6x44 Endurance 30. Illuminated #4 reticle. Very very good glass for the money and sees longer after sunset than my Leupold VX3 i's. Have one on a RAR 18" barreled .308 predator and it is my truck gun that is abused and that scope keeps on tickin.

I've been tempted to use a lit reticle in low power, in the dark timber. I haven't because I can still see game "long after legal shooting hours", ha. I hunted with a peep sighted 30-30 on deer season and took my Swarovski 8X binos ( always do) and a big deer sauntered by me ( I was trail watching just inside the edge of dark timber) and with the 8x saw it was a doe and not a legal spike ( I could make out with naked eye it was pretty slick headed, no rack). I had the "Twilight aperture" in my peep and at 35yds I could have whacked her...but it was long after legal hours, ha.

I've been tempted to use a lit reticle in low power, in the dark timber. I haven't because I can still see game "long after legal shooting hours", ha. I hunted with a peep sighted 30-30 on deer season and took my Swarovski 8X binos ( always do) and a big deer sauntered by me ( I was trail watching just inside the edge of dark timber) and with the 8x saw it was a doe and not a legal spike ( I could make out with naked eye it was pretty slick headed, no rack). I had the "Twilight aperture" in my peep and at 35yds I could have whacked her...but it was long after legal hours, ha.

Hello RevJim, I bear hunt, most shots are close to the end of shooting time and in near dark situations. I use Leupold VXR 2X7 Firedot and a VXR Firedot 1.5-7 on my rigs. With the exception of one bear, I have used the Firedot in harvesting my bears. Last year I shot a bear at 6:55 PM, the end of shooting time was 7:20 PM, however at 7:20 PM in Maine no one can see to make an ethical shot. The bear came out to the bait, it stopped, walked past the bait and then stood broadside at about 70 yards. The bear was a very deep black, at that time of day it was relatively dark, and the bait was in an overshadowed location with a large branch hangover; and, and the crosshairs on the scope were black. I could see the silhouette of the bear clearly, however could not make out detailed features of the bear otherwise than it was a good sized mature animal. I turned the Firedot on, placed it between the ears, dropped down to center mass of the bear and took the shot, the bear dropped right there. If it had not been for the Firedot reticle I would not have taken the shot. I'm planning a deer hunt this fall and I will be outfitting my deer rifle with the VXR Firedot.

Hello RevJim, I bear hunt, most shots are close to the end of shooting time and in near dark situations. I use Leupold VXR 2X7 Firedot and a VXR Firedot 1.5-7 on my rigs. With the exception of one bear, I have used the Firedot in harvesting my bears. Last year I shot a bear at 6:55 PM, the end of shooting time was 7:20 PM, however at 7:20 PM in Maine no one can see to make an ethical shot. The bear came out to the bait, it stopped, walked past the bait and then stood broadside at about 70 yards. The bear was a very deep black, at that time of day it was relatively dark, and the bait was in an overshadowed location with a large branch hangover; and, and the crosshairs on the scope were black. I could see the silhouette of the bear clearly, however could not make out detailed features of the bear otherwise than it was a good sized mature animal. I turned the Firedot on, placed it between the ears, dropped down to center mass of the bear and took the shot, the bear dropped right there. If it had not been for the Firedot reticle I would not have taken the shot. I'm planning a deer hunt this fall and I will be outfitting my deer rifle with the VXR Firedot.
I have the VXR 2-7 on my Ruger Ranch 450 Bushmaster and it is as good as you say. Great close quarter low light hunter.

I have found the Leopold fixed 2.5X scope to be an out standing scope for rifles like the 45-70. Once you use it a bit you will realize it is far more than a 100yd scope. Back in the 1950's & 60's fixed 2.5 & 3X scopes were common on many bolt action rifles. A 4X at that time was considered high power. No problem shooting 300yds with a fixed 2.5 X. This past history has been lost. Most seem to think that a high power variable scope is the only type that will work. Once you actually practice with a 2.5X you will understand.

I've got a safe full of Leupold VariX III 1-5X scopes, some old and some new. Shotguns, rifles and muzzle loaders. They're a great scope, especially if you don't leave them on 5X when something wants to bite you!!;) Just messing with you, it's not hard to do!! I have the medium, duplex reticle in most of them. You really have to work at changing the power from 1.5 to 5X, none of these scopes have ever given me any trouble, and if they do there is a lifetime warranty. Print out a warranty form and send it to the company; no charge. I have absolutely no accuracy problems with my 45-70 Guide Gun out to 300 yards on 12 inch steel plates. I don't hit them every time because of the nut behind the trigger, and at 100 yards the rifle will shoot it better than I can shoot it, especially a lot of trigger time with the 406 grain bullets.

+1 on the Leupold VariX III great scope

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.