Salt Bath Annealing

I tried the salt bath method for the first time today. Works pretty slick. The instructions which Ballistic Recreations provide are very good. I took it slow and careful because of the, ( new to me ), danger involved.

What number setting are you guys ending up with to keep the liquid salt at about 500 * C? Mine is set to 4.

I tried the salt bath method for the first time today. Works pretty slick. The instructions which Ballistic Recreations provide are very good. I took it slow and careful because of the, ( new to me ), danger involved.

What number setting are you guys ending up with to keep the liquid salt at about 500 * C? Mine is set to 4.
I have had that value float around over time, but the last run I did was wanting a setting of just over 6 to sit the temp right between 485 and 500. When I run inside it seems to want a higher setting for some reason.

I ordered 3 pounds of Low Temp Heat Treat Salt from High Temperature Tools a few days ago at $4/lb. I received the salt today and they charged $16.35 for USPS Priority Mail shipping charges. Still at $28 for 3 pounds, it's a bargain for what it can do.

I ordered the Lee melting pot from Brownells (for their forever warranty) and the components for a PID heat controller from Amazon with a 600*C Type K Thermcouple. I'll put a system together and see how it works.

I'm thinking that I'll put a warning buzzer on it if the temp ever gets higher than 550*C for safety.

I ordered 3 pounds of Low Temp Heat Treat Salt from High Temperature Tools a few days ago at $4/lb. I received the salt today and they charged $16.35 for USPS Priority Mail shipping charges. Still at $28 for 3 pounds, it's a bargain for what it can do.

I ordered the Lee melting pot from Brownells (for their forever warranty) and the components for a PID heat controller from Amazon with a 600*C Type K Thermcouple. I'll put a system together and see how it works.

I'm thinking that I'll put a warning buzzer on it if the temp ever gets higher than 550*C for safety.
Very nice. Are you going to order the plate from Ballistic Recreations?

My set just arrived yesterday! I am excited to get started. This looks like a very professionally shell holder and all the components are on point. The best part of this whole system is that it's doesn't have hard to use timers and complicated buzzers/sirens. It's the way annealing should be. Slow, methodical and one at a time.

I want to see if I can make one with a hole or two for larger brass (7mm-08 - 45-70) and a couple holes for smaller brass (22 Hornet and 223). If I can't get one made, then I may be looking something pre-made.

Did some research on digital PID temp controller parts today. This is an overview and not links to specific parts, but more to familiarize and point in right direction. I can post links to the parts I buy after I research more (which I always do infinitadum on everything). I'm a 30yr Airforce Vet acft electrician and more.
It seems there are a plethora of PID Temp Controllers on Ebay that come WITH an SSR (Solid State Relay) and K Type Thermocouples.
The PIDs run on 120 to 240vac (wall plug). They are like the thermostat on the wall of your home heat and AC sys.
Think of the SSR like a regular mechanical relay, except no moving parts, all electronic. It turns on and off your heating coil in the melting pot. It's commanded/controlled by output from the PID Controller. MAKE SURE you select the amperage you'll need. A 20 Amp SSR should be fine since the Lee Pot uses a 120vac 15 Amp wall outlet.
The K Type Thermocouple is like a thermometer. It's like the "finger" of the PID dunked into the Salt to "feel" what tempura ture it's at, then the PID sends a signal to the SSR to turn on or off your Melting Pot. You can search Slebay for K Type TCS of different temp ranges. I found some rated 0 to 700C for about$10. Found an exhaust K Type with 1/8" npt fitting for $12 that's rated to 1,200C (this could be installed in the pot/brass adapter plate by drilling n tapping for the 1/8"npt, then would be secure for safety). I'd recommend at least a range to 700C. This will cover the Salt MAX do-not-exceed temp of 590C, AND be good for Lead melting @ 300C to 375C!
The PID controller, SSR, and K-Thermocouple together total should be $40 to $55, +your time, wall power cord, mount box, etc...
If I'm incorrect on anything please make it known so the right info is posted for all of us. I'm not above being corrected, politely lol.
I'll post exact links if you want, when I get mine ordered

You are spot on. I've built a couple of these. Amazon also has prebuilt temp controllers that should fit the bill. Just make sure you can find a probe for the proper conditions and your temp range. I used something like (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N31E8BN/?tag=lrhmag19-20) for my last build and grabbed a more suitable thermocouple off ebay. Put it all in one of those plastic outdoor rated junction boxes you can pickup at a hardware store. Came out something like this...https://photos.app.goo.gl/H4ohHjXV7zrbXwoV8 You probably don't need the heat sink for the draw this will have on the pot but it makes it look all that much more cool.

I just ordered one of those kits, though in separate pieces so I could get the probe for the right temperature range. That box is a nice idea; I'll have to keep that in mind.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.