Salt annealer............................?????????? What are the last results.......

I started salt annealing recently.
I built a PID temperature controller that maintains the salt temp within a few degrees.
I don't think any torch based system can match the temperature consistency of a salt dipping system with a temperature controller.

In my line of work, I used to anneal nonferrous metals to be processed, ( i.e. rolled from an ingot into sheets.) We'd use a torch on small parts to anneal them dead soft. At dead soft (annealed at about 1,300 degrees F) the grain structure would be very large. You could easily see the large grains when rolling out the sheet.

At lower annealing temperatures (i.e. 700 degrees F) the grain structure would be much finer and the grains wouldn't separate from each other when rolling sheet.

Temperature control is very important in annealing. With a salt bath at a constant temperature, and an adequate soak time to allow the brass case to reach the temperature of the salt, you will have very consistent annealing.

An added benefit of salt annealing is that it's easy to control the depth of the salt.

I built a mechanical torch based annealer but after hearing about salt annealing, it was obvious to me that a salt system would be more consistent.

It's also easy and relatively inexpensive to put together.

Here's the testing I did.

To summarize the results, I saw a measurable performance improvement in accuracy and velocity consistency.

I did some further testing, which I haven't posted yet, and saw less difference between the annealed and not annealed brass, but there was still an improvement. I now have 40 rounds of testing for each, and the accuracy improvement on average was about 0.15 MOA for annealed brass.

Just won high score in my first 600 meter bench rest match ( 98 ) missed small group by .040 thousands . This was the first time shooting salt bath annealed brass. I have know dought that this system has help me get more concise neck tension. I can feel the difference when seating bullets.
I just started to anneal before the posting about the pour testing came out , so as many others I am waiting for the next test results.
My results have proven to me that I am doing something right Annealing with this method. Just wanted to share my joy

Good for you! That is cool.

kai's post got me to thinking so I had a look @ amazon. Can buy a 1/16 DIN PID temp controller and a Lee electric pot for under $100. Now I'm quite sure that this controller is nowhere near as good as those we used to control oil and coolant temps on a former work's turbo test stand, but I wonder if it would be good enough for this use. Where to get the salt and what type are my biggest questions. Can I just grab a handful out of a bag of it for our water softener?

Last edited:
Some of us know annealed brass as better when development shows this. Same as with bullets, primers, powder, etc. Could be that our guns like higher neck tension than provided by constantly annealed necks.
For others annealing may resolve work hardening issues, likely from excess sizing, and this may show an improvement even without further development.

We should act on OUR situations, not the unknown of others.

I think the biggest variable in the salt bath would be the duration of the dip because it is human controlled.

I totally agree. So for my salt bath annealing, I run a metronome app on my iPhone so I can keep dip times consistent. I always anneal brass before I do any processing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.