Salt annealer............................?????????? What are the last results.......

Alibiiv

So I got the rifle/s back, been doing all sorts of case prep and was "about" to purchase a salt annealer, when I read a thread on the forum stating that salt annealers do not work??? Is this correct or did I miss something? I'm fireforming .270 Win to .270AI, at some point I would like to try annealing my brass. I realize that factory brass does come annealed, however I want to anneal my own brass to make everything consistent. I was really disappointed when I read that a company did testing and their results were the salt annealer did not work. I am not sure that I can afford a $500-800 unit. Do I get a 5/8ths inch deep socket, a timer and a torch? What are other members getting for results with the salt annealing system?

The deception behind the dipping declarations is that it's w/resp to FULL ANNEALING.
That is, Dip annealing is not effective for full annealing(it's temp & timing is lower than needed for that). However, we do not desire full annealing.
We process anneal, which is stress relieving only.
And there is no system, including inductive, that is more precise for stress relieving than dipping at the correct temperature range(which we can't really get wrong here).
Also, functionally, dipping allows for any depth of annealing for any cartridge, without custom programming or accessories.
As far as testing, we currently have no test system for hoop tension. When we do, I'm confident it will show dipping as superior.

The deception behind the dipping declarations is that it's w/resp to FULL ANNEALING.
That is, Dip annealing is not effective for full annealing(it's temp & timing is lower than needed for that). However, we do not desire full annealing.
We process anneal, which is stress relieving only.
And there is no system, including inductive, that is more precise for stress relieving than dipping at the correct temperature range(which we can't really get wrong here).
Also, functionally, dipping allows for any depth of annealing for any cartridge, without custom programming or accessories.
As far as testing, we currently have no test system for hoop tension. When we do, I'm confident it will show dipping as superior.

Hello Mikecr, thanks for the detailed response. My concern with the "testing" results that were published was who did the testing? To me a heat source is a heat source, whether it is from a torch, or an electric coil or molten salt, they're all still heat sources. My thoughts with that are the entire annealing process is to bring whatever metal that is to be annealed to a particular temperature, the salt bath is doing exactly that, within a confined/controlled area (depth); as with a torch or induction coil. When I first read about salt annealing (dip annealing) I thought is was a very smart process. Then when I read the "latest" test results, that prompted some concern. From the replies that I've gotten on the forum it appears that I am going to be purchasing the salt annealing system. I also will be looking into the Annealeez system as well. This forum is great with good people who share their knowledge and ideas with other like minded people.Thanks for all of the great replies.

If you want to begin annealing on a budget you should get an Annealeez. less than $300, automated and they have also just updated the interface to allow for digital inputs.

Thanks for the reply on the Annealeez I got a chance to check it out, it seems like a good annealing system also. Do you have one or know someone who has the system? To me it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to invest a lot of money into an annealing system because it is used so infrequently. Yes the system has to be reliable and "work", however how often is it going to be used and how many cases are going to get annealed for my shooting requirements?

deer-eats-popcorn_64.gif

See the latest posts in that thread. Gentleman from across the pond did some interesting testing that, if not exactly scientific, did produce some results the average bloke can wrap his arms around & could be repeated by just about anyone. I'm just not sure what "mole grips" are.......

From everything I've seen and heard the AMP results range from "outstanding" to "you'll never win a benchrest match if you don't use one". I'm sure it's a good machine.

Likewise I've seen and heard outstanding things about the Anealeeze system and it's automation looks like an advantage.

Personally, I'm a cheap SOB who'd rather spend money on powder and bullets just so long as I can avoid split necks in the brass I buy. But I don't neck turn and actually enjoy shooting .270's (currently have 3 of them until I decide what different thing 2 of them will turn into) so take my opinion for what it's worth. I picked up the Ballistic Recreations salt bath annealer last Christmas and have used it several times on brass ranging from .270 to 25-06 to 6mm Creedmoor (my production class benchrest gun), and even 45-70 (not that it needed it but what the heck) and have found that necking down 30-06 brass to .270 and then to .257 is MUCH easier and MUCH less prone to problems after annealing with the salt bath so I can tell it works and I plan to keep doing it, regardless of if I should be doing something different to get better results.

If you want perfect and have $1000+ to spend, go with the AMP. If you want automation, Annealeeze seems to have a solid solution (although I also looked into a DIY Annie system as an alternative to the AMP that could be automated) and very repeatable results. Personally I'm very happy that my salt bath annealing is doing everything I need it to do at a cost point that's VERY difficult to beat. One day, when my rifleman skills are much better than they are today, if I find the $100-ish I spent on this method to be a waste I'll invest in something that meets my (now improved) needs. I'm not so old that I don't have time to be wrong, and if that $100-ish dollars is the most foolish money I spend even THIS YEAR I'll be farther ahead than I'd hoped.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.