Sako A7/200 EDL-X/300 WM help needed

dk260

Sako A7/200 EDL-X/300 WM

I just picked up a Sako A7 Big Game Roughtech in 300 WM and am playing with loads. I wanted to shoot a Berger 190 VLD but will not be able to get them anywhere near the lands with mag length, its a .275 jump! Needless to say, these did not shoot well.

I picked up a box of 200 grain ELD-X and a factory loaded box of the same in their Precision Hunter line. Working with RL-22 I quickly stumbled upon a promising load at 70.5 grains with a COAL of 3.340 (mag length). This still has a jump of .260, but they shot a whole lot better than the Bergers.

Below are some targets (3 shot groups) but they all show the same trend, two holes touching and a third .5-1 MOA away. The factory ammo and my handloads shot roughly the same. In my limited experience, this has usually proven to be a bedding issue, but it could be an issue with the load. What do you all think in your experience?

Scope is a Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 MOAR, mounted on a Talley 20 MOA one piece rail which was bedded to the action, Nightforce ultralight rings torqued to 65 inch pounds. Load is Hornady new brass, full length sized, primer pockets and flash holes uniformed, inside/outside of necks chamfered, WLR-M primers, 200 gr ELD-X @ 3.340 behind 70.5 grains of RL-22.

As you will see from the pictures, it's like she really wants to shoot but there is something holding her back. I need to figure out what that something is!

100 yards with factory loads

100 yards with handloads

Shots 1,2 & 3 are 350 yards with handloads (there was a left to right wind at about 7 MPH and I was not holding for it, just wanted to see vertical)

Shots 4,5 & 6 at 500 yards

Try a primer change. Worked for me once in bringing the 3 shot in the group

Thanks for that tip. I actually loaded some up using CCI 250's this morning but I won't be able to test them until Tuesday or Wednesday. I'm also going to try a small ladder test using H-1000 with the CCI's and ELD-X's, same seating depth. On a side note, I discovered a potential bedding problem; the aluminum bedding block up near the recoil lug is covered by some sort of composite material. There were two high spots near the cutout for the magazine release which was leaving rub marks on the action. I hit those spots with a dremel to relieve the area, we shall see if that works...

I just finished loading for a 7mm mag Sako A7, but before load development I had the action bedded and a muzzle break put on. It took a while to find the right load, but finally finished with a berger 168 hybrid and 72.0 grains of retumbo shooting .5 moa and just over 3000 fps. If you like the berger bullest, you may want to try the 185 classic hunter. Its a hybrid design and developed for guns for a lot of jump due to factory magazines. I shot it last year out of a 300 win mag that had .200 jump and it consistently shot under .5 moa. Shot a mule deer at 550 with it, and I have never seen an animal die faster. Good luck.

Matt

I just finished loading for a 7mm mag Sako A7, but before load development I had the action bedded and a muzzle break put on. It took a while to find the right load, but finally finished with a berger 168 hybrid and 72.0 grains of retumbo shooting .5 moa and just over 3000 fps. If you like the berger bullest, you may want to try the 185 classic hunter. Its a hybrid design and developed for guns for a lot of jump due to factory magazines. I shot it last year out of a 300 win mag that had .200 jump and it consistently shot under .5 moa. Shot a mule deer at 550 with it, and I have never seen an animal die faster. Good luck.

Matt

Thanks, I picked up some 185 classic hunters today and will give them a try.

I have Jon Beanland built gun that isn't liking the 212's. From what others are saying, you'll need to weight sort the ELD-x. My gun shoots way better with the 210 VLDs. FWIW, by load is 77.5gr of H1000 in Hornady brass w/ CCI's.

There is no definite in hand loading but in my experience the 2 touching with one flier is typically seating depth.

If it's not user error the more likely causes would be neck tension and inconsistent seating depth.

If you aren't shooting it hot and everything is torqued down properly a single high flier probably isn't caused by a bedding issue.

You can always remove the action from the stock and put some chalk, talcum powder, or powdered graphite (dry lube) on the contact surfaces and remount it for a few shots. If you do have a bedding problem you should see it in the powder/dust showing up.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.