6.5 EDL-X in 264 winmag???

My parts are currently at the smithy guy getting crafted into a 30" 264 WIN specially throated to shoot the 150g+ projectiles.
I have an 8# of few powders on hand for initial work ups. IMR 8133, Norma 217 among others.

just finished about to take this out to the range 30" Hardy's Stainless medium Palma contour 7.5:1 Twist elongated OGIVE for new pills. Blueprinted Mauser Action with Tubb's Interlock. Hope weather next week holds up to shoot it. Looking at R33 and Retumbo ladders with 150 STMK 147 ELDMs

upload_2018-10-14_18-41-57.jpeg

upload_2018-10-14_18-31-38.jpeg

Moaflat:

That's quite the rifle and suppressor. I love it..!! Tell me about the suppressor. Does part of the barrel fit inside the suppressor. Because the visible barrel looks less than 30" and the suppressor is awfully long.

Yes Varminator 911, you're spot on. It's a DPT over barrel Magnum Suppressor about ⅓ recesses onto the barrel. This one is outfitted with 7 Baffles - they come out of stock with four and I've added three more. One stainless- which is the first ( lead ) Baffle that takes the brunt of most the force the other 6 are anodized aluminum for weight. You can add up to ten baffles to suit your rifle and Load harmonic and of course how much noise and recoil you wish to have. The seven has just the right amount of back pressure balance. With ten baffles on my 6.5CM Kimber it shoots like almost like a 22. The barrel is a true 30" mid Palma countour brand new - itching to get to the range.

Yes Varminator 911, you're spot on. It's a DPT over barrel Magnum Suppressor about ⅓ recesses onto the barrel. This one is outfitted with 7 Baffles - they come out of stock with four and I've added three more. One stainless- which is the first ( lead ) Baffle that takes the brunt of most the force the other 6 are anodized aluminum for weight. You can add up to ten baffles to suit your rifle and Load harmonic and of course how much noise and recoil you wish to have. The seven has just the right amount of back pressure balance. With ten baffles on my 6.5CM Kimber it shoots like almost like a 22. The barrel is a true 30" mid Palma countour brand new - itching to get to the range.
Here's a photo without suppressor on.
upload_2018-10-15_4-25-29.jpeg

Almost giggle and it certainly puts a big smile on my face. The reasons I Ladder Develop with a suppressor is that the old World War 1 Range I shoot at nearly in my back yard, called Rifle Butt is a fantastic range flat over 350 yds then goes up the foothills over 1500. Often from time to time there are sheep on the paddock and neighboring ones. And at the moment they're lambing and without a suppressor these wee babies are hugging the far fence line and not very happy at all. Suppressed, they eat grass right beside me and are not fazed in the least. We also found after numerous testing that the muzzle brake and suppressed shot exactly identical groups with different shooters and different calibers. So if you like smiling or giggling suppressors are fantastic. We are soon looking at some air cooling gear to help keep the mirage down and keep barrels from getting too hot- problem for Load developers and when match shooting. Keep giggling and smiling....

Hi all ,
First of all , Happy new to you all .
I am currently running a semi custom Savage 112 BVSS in 264 winmag with a 1 in 8 twist 26 inch barrel.
Have been shooting the 130 TMKs and the rifle likes them ,
I have picked up some 143 grain (6.5) EDL-X to try and am using Nosler custom 264 winmag brass/ Federal 215M primers and Retumbo power.
I loaded them 10 thou off the lands and started at 68 grains working up .5 grains up to 71 grains.
All was 5 shot groups.
68 and 68.5 grains showed promise but the other groups seemed erratic - your thoughts and experinces please!!!
Many thanks ,
Ray.
Ray first off you're well beyond the listed safe loads so you need to back off several grains and then work up.

The ELD's do not need to be loaded close to the lands, they aren't a VLD and should feed easily into the lands backed off quite a bit. VLD's have a much sharper break due to the difference in secant and tangential ogives. The closer you start to the lands the more likely you are to have dangerous pressure spikes as well because far less of the initial charge gets past the bullet before it's seated.

Never been a big fan of Retumbo, it's the dirtiest powder I've ever run and it never had the consistency for me I get out of many other powders.

Try RL26, RL,33 or H1000 and I think you'll be a lot happier.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.