Sako 85 additional MOA needed

ScopeRKT

I have a Sako 85 Long Range in 300WM that was topped with a VX-3i LRP 6-20x50. After getting the rifle zeroed I have 25 MOA left of vertical adjustment. I'd like to add a 10/20 MOA rail to get me the adjustment needed for 1000 yards +.

Currently I am looking at the contessa 20MOA rail, but can not find any reviews. Second option is to mill off the front sight base for the additional MOA. If I do mill, will the scope be under any stress? The Optilocks have the rotating plastic insert.

I have one of their mounts (20MOA). The machining on it is amazing. It mounts nicely and has proven to be maintain the rifle accuracy. It does sit a little higher than say a Remington rail so be prepared to raise the cheekweld. Even with the lowest scope rings (30 mm) the bell of my 50mm scope sits 3/8" above my sporter weight barrel. Makes my light weight rifle look small compared to the scope. Your long range should work great with it.

I have one too, it does raise the scope higher than any other rail, but it works great. I have it on a 300wby and it has held a zero.
If I was buying another I would buy one of near manufacturing rails. It's lower than the contessa and super high quality also. I have a near rail on my a7.

http://www.nearmfg.com/products.htm

I'm a little weary of the NEAR rail. Nothing holding it on but a friction fit, which I'm sure is fine, I like the addition of screws on the Contessa. Guessing with the barrel contour and extra low rings, shouldn't have too much of a gap with my scope. Going to try out Contessa. It's about 1/20 of what the NEAR rail is. Seems like both of you have had a good experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts