Sako 75 270 WSM

gei

Bought 270 WSM 4 or 5 years ago, shot it for first time this year, shot terrible! Tried factory 3 types, tried different handloads, tried different mounts and 2 scopes. This rifle has the synthetic (tupperware) stock

Contacted Accuflite in Pennsylvania, he said that happens many times with the plastic stock. He said he can put a kevlar stock $800.00 on it and it will shoot.

Has anyone else had this problem with the Sako & plastic stock. I have several sakos and all shoot under 1" with almost anything. This one will not shoot.

thanks

EddieHarren

I have a customer who has the same rifle. It won't shoot either. I have a McMillan on order for it.

cavtrooper94

Thats too bad. Thats a pretty expensive rifle to have to upgrade right off the bat. The Tikka T3 in 270 WSM shoots great. Personally I'd get a new rifle before buying an $800 stock.

Wookie316

Is it a Finnlight? I had a 300 WSM in a Finnlight that didn't shoot good enough for me. It was fine for most, but I like to shoot bug eyes. That rifle stuggled to shoot a MOA at 100yards. I have had many othe Sako 75 S/S that shot very well though.

Seems to be a bad one in every bunch.

For $800 I'd be more inclined to ditch the barrel for a new one. I know in Canada I could have a Ted Gaillard barrel installed for less than that. He is well known up here for building very good barrels.

Gaillard

I have 4 rifles with his barrels & everyone is great.

MontanaRifleman

Is it a Finnlight? I had a 300 WSM in a Finnlight that didn't shoot good enough for me. It was fine for most, but I like to shoot bug eyes. That rifle stuggled to shoot a MOA at 100yards. I have had many othe Sako 75 S/S that shot very well though.

Seems to be a bad one in every bunch.

For $800 I'd be more inclined to ditch the barrel for a new one. I know in Canada I could have a Ted Gaillard barrel installed for less than that. He is well known up here for building very good barrels.

Gaillard

I have 4 rifles with his barrels & everyone is great.
I also have a Finnlight and if you check out the thread I posted you will see that they do not have a recoil lug. The recoil is transmitted to the stock through the tang of the receiver which is NOT a good set up. The non bedded tupperware stock without pillars is not a good platforn for accuracy and consistancy.

There may be a problem with the barrel, but IMO it is more likely with the stock and/or lack of recoil lug. I would never rebarrel a rifle back into that stock. That would be the same as putting a string of pearls on pig. You still end up with a pig.

My suggestion, fix the stock and recoil problems before rebarreilng. The barrel is very likely to be good and then you have wasted a perfectly good barrel.

Mark

Last edited:

EddieHarren

The rifle, that I mentioned in the above post, is not marked "75" anywhere on the rifle. When I went to order the McMillan stock this caused a small problem with the young lady at the order desk. She insisted that it had to be a I, II, or III. When I told her it was not she couldn't accept the order. She finally put me through to the shop and the young man, who answered, was familiar with the model I have, which is an "SM". He said it took the same inlet as the "75".
This action has a recoil lug. It is held in a slot under the front of the action by a set screw. The stock is a ***.
Where ever you are paying $800.00 for a McMillan Sako sporter stock, you need to start buying them from me. I can make you a much better deal.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce