Poor bedding on Sako 75

co17

I have a problem with my .308 Sako 75 Deluxe.
When both action/stock screws are tight it shoots 1.5MOA groups but if I loosen or completely remove the aft screw the groups shrinks to .75MOA.
I found out accidentally as the screw comes loose after 50 shots no matter how tight.
What do I do?

Yep , sounds like a good cantidate for a piller bedding job , what may nbe happening is that the recoil lug is bottoming out in the stock before the bottom of the action makes good contact and when the rear screw is tightened then its stressing then action (doesen't take much) , once the gun is properly lipper/glass bedded then the action will be making full , even contact without stress anywhere.

Have you called Sako and explained the trouble?

Regarding pillar bedding...I often frown on this practice when dealing with walnut stocks.
The act of pillar bedding requires drilling out the factory holes to twice or more the size to accomodate the aluminum pillars. These drilled out holes reduce the integrity of the walnut stock and if the stock was going to splinter ...this is where it will happen...you are dealing with wood and wood grains.
Laminate or synthetic stocks are more ideal candidates for pillar bedding.

Just my opinion since this occured to me.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.