SAFETY REMINDER!!!

Expanding on response from Lyle2231, there used to be, 20-30 years ago, quite a large amount of published data about using a filler to take up space. They used the term fiber-fill(pillow stuffing) which is a fluffy polyester. One thing to note, for accuracy, one has to make a trial with one cartridge to determine how much to use. Then remove it and make sure there is no powder embedded in it. Then with a precision scale measure the weight of the fiber-fill, for this is part of the mass being pushed out the barrel. Then work on tearing out pieces of the fiber-fill from the source to match weights of balls of the fiberfill. Once the weight is determined, keep in mind the load data is based on a specific bullet mass. Having an effective larger mass being pushed down the barrel, be aware the load data will actually be based on a lighter mass being pushed out the barrel.
The subject is both accuracy and safety.
Best Regards

Expanding on response from Lyle2231, there used to be, 20-30 years ago, quite a large amount of published data about using a filler to take up space. They used the term fiber-fill(pillow stuffing) which is a fluffy polyester. One thing to note, for accuracy, one has to make a trial with one cartridge to determine how much to use. Then remove it and make sure there is no powder embedded in it. Then with a precision scale measure the weight of the fiber-fill, for this is part of the mass being pushed out the barrel. Then work on tearing out pieces of the fiber-fill from the source to match weights of balls of the fiberfill. Once the weight is determined, keep in mind the load data is based on a specific bullet mass. Having an effective larger mass being pushed down the barrel, be aware the load data will actually be based on a lighter mass being pushed out the barrel.
Best Regards
Another note: One needs to investigate through searches to see if there was any problems associated with this process. Such as the high heat reacting with and melting the polyester and leaving residue in the chamber or barrel. All it takes is 1 bad result out of a 10000 good results to say it is not a good idea.
Again, using fiber-fill to take up space used to be highly publicized before the advent of the internet/information sharing age. If one bad thing happens out of a million, every one will know about it in the modern age of communication. The internet was not available to the general public until the 1990's.

You are correct, Sir; it is indeed a valuable lesson to pass on. What the recipients do with the information is another story.

Ed
True, lots of good info to pass on: however, the info as to what happened in side that rifle is still a mystery to me. Truly hope that somebody does a real study as to what actually occurred: way too many variables involved and way too many questions go unanswered. Hope there is a sharing of the diagnosis if completed using a real and acceptable scientific approach. Just really would like to know more.

True, lots of good info to pass on: however, the info as to what happened in side that rifle is still a mystery to me. Truly hope that somebody does a real study as to what actually occurred: way too many variables involved and way too many questions go unanswered. Hope there is a sharing of the diagnosis if completed using a real and acceptable scientific approach. Just really would like to know more.
Rich already said he was not there and just passing on information he knows and concern with his client. Passing on timely safety reminders is more important at this time than the actual unknown information. Especially when most of us rush out to the range for being blessed with good weather or being confined in our homes for too long due to COVID, we might become complacent.

I am sure Rich will pass all the information he knows as they become available.

Rich already said he was not there and just passing on information he knows and concern with his client. Passing on timely safety reminders is more important at this time than the actual unknown information. Especially when most of us rush out to the range for being blessed with good weather or being confined in our homes for too long due to COVID, we might become complacent.

I am sure Rich will pass all the information he knows as they become available.
Boulder-dash. Safety reminders are always become important when their true cause is identified: without cause and effect there is no reminder. By the way, COVID never stopped my range activity.

Boulder-dash. Safety reminders are always become important when their true cause is identified: without cause and effect there is no reminder. By the way, COVID never stopped my range activity.
Are you going to wait for the true cause before you heed a safety reminder? Nope, not me! I take safety seriously in everything that I do.

COVID never stopped my range activity either, but I do know some members here are not as fortunate.

Last edited:
Having been thru a couple surprisingly excess pressure incidents over the decades..., there is no certainty as to what was in that casing after it was spent.

No way to put the powder and bullet back in there. The casing is toast. So expect whatever... but you pretty much got the fine details right now. There will always some uncertainty.

Last edited:
Having been thru a couple surprisingly excess pressure incidents over the decades..., there is no certainty as to what was in that casing after it was spent.

No way to put the powder and bullet back in there. The casing is toast. So expext whatever... you pretty much got the fine details right now. There will always some uncertainty.
Really??

Best Regards
The old #1 Mk4 liked the load I was using, thankfully I didn't get hurt from gun failure. I got fairly good at "puff" consistency. Fluxing is an art form I believe. Just my 2c