SAFETY REMINDER!!!

One aspect that is overlooked is when we set the bullet out as far as we can to minimize jump. The case space just increased and powder load density decreased. I can see how developing a new load with a powder that doesn't have load data can take you down this road if the starting loads are too light. With normal powders scarce, powders that may be questionable, are being tried maybe in desperation. Powder burn rate tables are being used like they provide absolute substitutions based upon similar positions on table irrelevant to the powder being ball, extruded etc. Add in brass and primer scarcity, new loads become even more interesting.

Safety needs to be in forefront whenever we try new development loads. With recent component scarcity, I am not so certain this is true any more. The first question should always be how safe not how fast.

this tread should be a warning to a lot of members here. it don't have to just be a 100gr + case to have it happen. way to many people want to put this or that powder in every case with every possible bullet combination because they read on the internet that it can gain 75-100 fps. without any thought about case fill, burn rate, type of powder, grain shape, density or primer used. if this mistake can happed to experienced reloaders and wildcatters it can happen to you to.
thanks for this tread Rich hope people learn from it

this is my personal thinking so don't take it as gospel
stick powders 90% or better case fill
ball powders 95% or better
mag primers for all ball powders and stick powders over 90gr
std primer under 90gr and stick powders
benchrest primers for BR cases
Years ago I heard about Bullseye shooters with light loads of bullseye could cause the round to detonate. it was due to the powder laying flat on the length in the 38 Special case and the primer igniting across the whole powder charge.

Good reminder... to expand a little ... in these current times of having trouble finding powders, primers, etc DON T get too far out there trying to make odd ball combinations work if it's so far out of the norm that you can't find published data. We all need to be diligent!!

This is exactly why I dont believe in reduced loads. If you want reduced loads get a different caliber.
I hear people all the time even on hear talk about loading a big 30 cal down to 30-06, if you want a 30- 06 buy one.
That being said I'm glad when he heals he will be o.k
Reduced loads can be used safely. I use 5 grains of Red Dot with a foam filler over the top with a 165 gr. Remington Cor-Lokt in 308 Winchester to get subsonic results. Most are around 1100 fps.

Being very new to reloading, this was both a very soberng and very informative thread to read. Thanks to elkaholic for starting the thread and to all that have contributed. I clipped can1010's list of notes in to my general reloading notes file.
Again, thanks elkaholic, can1010, and all of you that took the time to offer your experiences.

unless the load comes out of a reputable load manual, I won't use it. I hear all the time guys loading 30-06 with imr 4064 with 33, 34grs trying to lesson recoil, not because they're recoil shy but the eye doctor told them no sudden jarring of the head etc etc....not good. might lose the eye to the bolt.

Reduced loads can be used safely. I use 5 grains of Red Dot with a foam filler over the top with a 165 gr. Remington Cor-Lokt in 308 Winchester to get subsonic results. Most are around 1100 fps.
Red Dot was what I used when I referenced my blunder when I was a kid.
It was very safe until it wasn't.
Just saying!

Yeah, I bet elkaholic's client thought the same thing.

One aspect that is overlooked is when we set the bullet out as far as we can to minimize jump. The case space just increased and powder load density decreased. I can see how developing a new load with a powder that doesn't have load data can take you down this road if the starting loads are too light. With normal powders scarce, powders that may be questionable, are being tried maybe in desperation. Powder burn rate tables are being used like they provide absolute substitutions based upon similar positions on table irrelevant to the powder being ball, extruded etc. Add in brass and primer scarcity, new loads become even more interesting.

Safety needs to be in forefront whenever we try new development loads. With recent component scarcity, I am not so certain this Dis true any more. The first question should always be how safe not how fast.

Safety needs to be in forefront whenever we try new development loads. With recent component scarcity, I am not so certain this is true any more. The first question should always be how safe not how fast.
Ditto on setting bullet out too far. Did that once and got a loud swish sound. Looked in BORE to see if it was clear and it was clear. Packed up and went home. CHECK BORE IN THESE SITUATIONS. Good point Muddyboots.

this tread should be a warning to a lot of members here. it don't have to just be a 100gr + case to have it happen. way to many people want to put this or that powder in every case with every possible bullet combination because they read on the internet that it can gain 75-100 fps. without any thought about case fill, burn rate, type of powder, grain shape, density or primer used. if this mistake can happed to experienced reloaders and wildcatters it can happen to you to.
thanks for this tread Rich hope people learn from it

this is my personal thinking so don't take it as gospel
stick powders 90% or better case fill
ball powders 95% or better
mag primers for all ball powders and stick powders over 90gr
std primer under 90gr and stick powders
benchrest primers for BR cases
I like to use the reloading manuals that give the approximate fill ratio for the powders being used. A quick visual inspection of each case in a loading block is my standard routine also, however I do not have a progressive press. Inspection of pistol cases are a good idea always. Trail Boss has the doughnut shaped powder grains to increase the bulk fill in lightly filled cases and is a preferred powder for certain sub sonic rifle loads like the .308 and cowboy action type rifles.

Hey guys, on the shotgun side, I remember many years ago we were just kids and a buddy of mine started reloading his 20 gauge, we would hunt cotton tails for our Moms for the winter, well at the time we had a great time laughing about his reloads because half of them were bloopers and it looked like you just took a hand full of BBs and threw them at the rabbits because it didnt hurt them one bit, luckily nothing bad ever happened and how many times have stupid little things happened since we were kids that we got away with, I had a factory 7 Ultra Mag. used it for several years no problems, then one night went to the range to check zero for deer hunting , closed the bolt on the bench and it went off, scared the **** out of me, I stood up checked it out , nothing wrong that I could see, sat down , got ready again and shut the bolt and it went off again, lucky its pointing down range, packed up and went home, next day a buddy calls and says have you ever had trouble with a factory Rem. trigger, I said a YUP,,, playing with fireworks , driving, cell phones, when Im driving Semi and look down at each car I pass or dodge around, 98 out of 100 of them are on the phone texting and they want to take our guns away. Anyway back to what I was gitting at, lots of dumb laughs about the bloopers and then years later when I was trap shooting, I had just got to the range in time to see a guy get carried off the range with a just some thumb bone left on his shooting hand,, they were shooting doubles that night and he had a blooper the first shot and the wad didnt clear the barrel and he tried to get the second shot off right after the miss fire cause they were doing doubles yu know and bloop__KABOOOM !!!

Take care everyone, and stay safe, think back and count our blessings.

This is a non-usesful anecdote swithout caliber, cartridge, load and what was going on at the time. As is, we just have an admonition to be careful; got it.