safe range for deer and elk w/ 7mm rem mag.

linksmechanic

I'm new to the 7mm game and want your guys input on how far out I can safely go w/ this rifle on deer and elk. Here is my combo: sendero sfII w/ mark 4 6.5-20x50 illum. shoots 1.5" at 200 so far. Load is as follows: berger 180 vld flying at about 2900 fps. I intend to try and push the berger a little faster for more punch but will stop when I see accuracy decline or high pressure signs. Any info would be much appreciated. I have used the ballistic calculators and they give me an estimate on game wait but I don't trust a computer enough yet.

Of course an answer to a question like this depends almost entirely on the situation (Wind, rest, shot angle etc etc)

I've hunted with a 7mmRM since 1978, I've taken on the order of 3 dozen Muley's with mine from 8 yards to 870yards. A few over 500 yards and a bunch over 300.

Today, I'd trust mine to 700 yards, it is lethal beyond that but I've not shot it nearly enough over the last few years to go any farther than that. In good conditions, 500yards on a standing broadside Muley is a chip shot for a good 7mm.

This is certainly a decision that is different for every person. If you want some quantitative reasoning, I think 1800fps impact speed is a reasonable limit for deer. In the load I shoot, that is around 875yards.

Hope that helps.

Don

The distance that you can put all shots in a 12" circle using the same shooting techniques you will be using hunting, including wind variables.
Some will tell you that you can increase the size to 18" for elk but I am saying 12" for elk also to allow for the increased power required to down an elk.

James

goodgrouper: That is exactly the info I needed. I know my abilities but I wanted to know my bullets abilities. I don't feel at this time that I have the ability to hit an elk at a 1000 yards. I would be comfortable at 700. A year from now hopefully. Thanks for the info.

My only experience with a 7mm Rem was sighting one in for a friend. Using Norma and several other factory loads w/140gr bullets of some kind, velocities were way less that book numbers for a 270Win w/the same weight bullets.

Even with factory loads, if they are accurate and you've done your homework it'll shot and harvest farther than you would guess given the conditions under which you are shooting.

practise practise practise, and when you are comfortable at a that range move on to the next 50 or 100 yards further. I have never really seen anyone hunt with Bergers before though.

Reason you probly haven't is because they aren't geared towards making long range hits consistently. Bergers also were not exactly known as "hunting bullets" till a few years ago or so. They do kill quite well though. My experience is limited to 2 deer and 2 coyotes, but the results were always the same. Big exit holes and great terminal effects, resulted in dead animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.