S&W 629 Stealth Hunter Performance Center success

Buttermilk

Morning came way too early. I was running on several nights of not enough sleep, and I certainly did not want to get up early. 3:05 AM the alarm sounded rather obnoxiously, awakening me rather rudely from a sound sleep. Moments later I was up and around. I sent my son a text to inform him I was up. He responded in kind. I was soon on the road headed to meet up with Derek, my son, and granddaughter Hailey.

We launched the boat, after loading our gear and guns, and headed across the lake towards our destination hunting spot. The place had been kind to us over the few years we hunted there. I hoped today would be another of those days. It was a cold brisk, windy morning.

I arrived at my hunting spot none too soon. I was sure Derek and Hailey did the same. Legal shooting light was looming just over the horizon. Temps were 43 degrees F and 10-15 mph gusty winds. Winds were switchy and I hoped that wouldn't create any problems for me.

The morning progressed with virtually no activity, not even so much as a squirrel moving. At 8:59am, Derek sent a text indicating they had saw a deer. Finally! Hopefully the deer were starting to move now. I saw the first squirrel about the same time. I was a ridge away from Derek and Hailey and hoped the deer on my side would wonder by.

About half an hour later, I saw movement to my left. I turned to see what it was and spotted antlers. A buck, I realized! Quickly ascertaining the direction of travel, I reached for my revolver. I calculated at warp speed in my head (I can do that some times

) that I likely didn't have time to reach for the XP-100, get my rest setup in time and get off a shot with confidence I would connect effectively.

As I observed, I quickly became aware of three does as well as the buck. I'm certain that the three does were actually a momma doe and her offspring. The three antlerless deer were moving quickly, running towards a dried up creek bed, with the buck in hot pursuit. The rut was going on, but the intensity seemed to be waning some. I Had hoped the bucks were still chasing does,
And they were. At least one buck was.

The three lead deer crossed the dried up creek bed with the buck quickly following up behind them. I readied my S&W 629 Stealth Hunter, cocking the hammer and began tracking the moving buck. As he crossed the creek bed and came into an opening, I realized if I was gonna shoot the buck, it was now or never. Most of the buck's body was coved by waist tall grass and only the upper part of his body visible. As the scope crosshairs settled onto the vital area of the buck, I squeezed the trigger of the .44 magnum revolver. BOOM! As the revolver recoiled in my hand, I saw the buck drop to the ground! The Sierra 240 JHP had put him down!

Derek sent a text, "That you?" He inquired? I said yeah, "buck, down I think." He responded "Nice!" By this time I was shaking so bad I was having a hard time texting.

Keenly aware of where my scope was when the hammer dropped, I decided I did not need to wait to check on the buck but rather needed to quietly and quickly make my way to where he dropped 55 yards away, according my rangefinder, offhand, on a moving deer. He was chasing a doe. The buck was hit high and forward in the shoulder. He was still breathing, so I pulled my Kimber 1911 TLE II and put a 180 grain XTP thru the ribs, then he was done.

As I stood there looking at the buck I realized his left side was better than I thought. His right side was apparently broken off, but not a fresh break. I never saw his right side before now. 6 points on his left side. 5 main points and a sticker coming off the back of the main beam down low. He was a mature buck. I was ecstatic! Extremely happy to have taken him with my revolver. I was extremely blessed and thankful to have gotten the buck. Thank you Lord!

Derek and agreed to meet back at the boat, drop our gear and come back for the buck. 2.5 hours later we had him back at the boat. That was a long arduous trek back with the buck suspended on a pole with us both supporting the pole hiking back to the boat. Man, what a day! Hailey, my granddaughter will have some stories to tell someday. All in all it was a day the Lord had made!

Equipment:
*S&W 629 Stealth Hunter Performance Center 44 magnum revolver. Bausch & Laumb 2x-6x pistol
Scope.
*Sierra 240 JHC bullet, pushed by 24.5 gr H110, lit by CCI large magnum pistol primer, housed in Winchester brass. I've not chrono'd this load as yet.
*Kimber 1911 TLE II 10mm; Hornady Custom ammo with 180gr XTP bullet.
*Vortex Razor HD 4000 LRF

Attachments

• IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    565.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0227.jpeg
    IMG_0227.jpeg
    234.4 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0228.png
    IMG_0228.png
    611.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0201.jpeg