S&W 460V trail gun

Piggy backing a red dot sight on top of your scope if fairly easy to do with the wide range of mounts available now. Makes it easy to have a close range option with the rifle you already have in your hands. Use it for dangerous game, coyotes, whatever.

I'm not familiar with it! Can you see the dot without losing your check weld on your stock? memtb

one of the best studies I've ever seen is done by ammoland I included a screenshot of it. Excellent stories draw you own conclusions.
IMG_5749.png

Sounds really good except,You save the last round for yourself, can't use that advice, that's right out of Clint Eastwood movie. Not sure if anyone with a loaded Glock 20 has ever lost in a bear vs man fight

"IF" I were in that blind…..my rifle would be on it's lowest scope setting, meaning that I could easily see the target inside of 10 yards. And if the rifle fits as it should, and the hunter "is at one with his/her rifle" inside of 10 yards he/she should be able to, by pure reflex (much like a proficient shot gunner) "point shoot" at least as accurately as he/she could do with the handgun! JMO memtb
My FOV at lowest power is pretty limited for a moving target inside of 50yds. Taking a shot at broadside bear within 30 seconds would be no problem. Talking a shot at a charging bouncing bear inside of 10 seconds....doesn't seem like it would be easy. I'll recheck my FOV at 10yds, but I suspect very little bear fits into the FOV and I would just be shooting at fur. Admittedly, the rifle/scope combo wasn't ideal for the situation.

"IF" I were in that blind…..my rifle would be on it's lowest scope setting, meaning that I could easily see the target inside of 10 yards. And if the rifle fits as it should, and the hunter "is at one with his/her rifle" inside of 10 yards he/she should be able to, by pure reflex (much like a proficient shot gunner) "point shoot" at least as accurately as he/she could do with the handgun! JMO memtb
I agree. While it's not a perfect solution and I'd prefer way less mag, I shot a running buck at 9 yards with a 6-24 on a bolt gun. There's something to be said for a rifle that fits you well enough you can toss it up and shoot from the soul with both eyes open.

There's also something to be said for practicing silly things like sub 50 yard off hand shooting

I'm assuming that it's one of the short barreled versions…..in which case I'm bleeding with envy! 😜 If so, and you don't already have one, look into a cross-chest carry rig. It really makes the large, heavy handguns pleasant to carry.

I have a Galco Kodiak for my 8 3/8" XVR. It's pretty pleasant to carry but, with that long barrel….I won't win any "quick draw" contests! memtb
I have a Kenie Gun fighter chest holster for my 8 in. S&W 460XVR. I don't carry it here in griz country because of weight. I got a Glock 20 10mm with a Gunfighter chest holster instead. I had tried some 180 fmj loads in my Glock 20 and my Springfield XDM 10 mm a couple years ago at 15 yds.. The Glock was way more accurate. About three weeks ago I tried some 220 gr. Grizzly and 200 gr. HSM bear loads at 15 yds with both. Waa haa ! The Springfield shot way better than the Glock . Now it has me thinking which to carry. I don't like the idea of a grip safety on the Springfield in griz country. I like the grip on the Springfield better. I don't have a shoulder holster for it either. I also carry bear spray on my hip. I don't like the idea of having to make a choice while bear is changing but my thinking is if I have time and bear isn't charging I'll pull bear spray. If I don't have time and bear is charging I'm pulling pistol or rifle depending on yardage. I haven't had any close calls and hope not to.

Last edited:
I am not a believer of worrying about extra weight in a potentially life and death situation. True bear attacks like sharks are rare, but when one occurs it usually does not come to a happy ending. I certainly will not depend on a spray container in a FTF encounter.
Since you were asking about ammo, you can't do much better in a 460 round. It is reasonably priced, available and I can't imagine a bear walking away from a well placed shot. I'm 6'5" and about 300 lbs, and I have shot a lot of different ammo. I admit I wouldn't want to shoot a match with S&W 460, but in a critical situation I wouldn't have a problem. I would rather go down with a firearm even if I miss than bear spray.

Last edited:
I am not a believer of worrying about extra weight in a potentially life and death situation. True bear attacks like sharks are rare, but when one occurs it usually does not come to a happy ending. I certainly will not depend on a spray container in a FTF encounter.
Since you were asking about ammo, you can't do much better in a 460 round. It is reasonably priced, available and I can't imagine a bear walking away from a well placed shot. I'm 6'5" and about 300 lbs, and I have shot a lot of different ammo. I admit I wouldn't want to shoot a match with S&W 460, but in a critical situation I wouldn't have a problem. I would rather go down with a firearm even if I miss than bear spray.

Weight matters because after a few hikes with that boat anchor he's going to just leave it home.

I was black bear hunting this spring and had 3 bears walk past me inside of 50yds without noticing I was sitting in a ground blind. Initially, I was comfortable with just having my 300NMI rifle, but after the first bear I got to thinking about finding a bear inside of 50yds within my scope. I also got stuck on the time needed to cycle the bolt for a 2nd shot. What if the bear was snooping around at 25yds? I started carrying a pistol just incase a bear got startled and charged the ground blind.

I would think open sights as well as semi auto or lever action would be critical on a rifle inside of 50yds.
Just put the big black furry scull on top of the scope and let er rip!! Worked for me at a mere few feet! You'll get time to work the bolt just from the muzzle blast knocking their teeth out.

Don, if the Springfield works better for you and you are uncomfortable with the grip safety….I think that you can drill and pin (keeping it in the off position) the grip safety the way that many people have done on the 1911's. Check and verify….It may not work on the Springfield! Just a quick look at my XDS without disassembly…..I think that it should be pretty easy! memtb

Last edited: