S&B vs Zeiss

Boman

Ok, so I've narrowed my choices to a S&B 3-12x50 Precision Hunter or a Zeiss Diavari 3-12x56. I'm interested in the zeiss because of the light weight of the scope also it now comes with a Lotutec coating on the lenses which repels water/oil. I don't care for the 56mm objective though. Which one do you think will be the toughest? I need a very sturdy scope that I can depend on. This rifle has chewed up a swarovski a line and an IOR tactical. I know the S&B is a great scope but haven't heard much on the high end Zeiss. Thanks for your help.

IMHO the S&B is a tough one to beat but one other to consider is the USO scope built with the low profile eyepiece and objective.. I have all of them and with new purchases it is a tough call...

Sorry to leave that little detail off..

The rifle is a custom 6.5lb .340wby with a muzzle break.

The Swaro scope was a 4-12x50 A line and a lense came loose. The IOR 4-14x50 wouldn't hold zero. Funny thing is I had a Bushnell 4200 4-16x50 on it for a few months and it held up perfectly. I wanted better glass so I went to the swaro.

No tougher optics than USO or S&B.... Have used them on my big rifles for years with no issues.. Have had a Kahles and Loopy break before..

Thanks everyone. Boss that's the stuff I was looking for. I had thought about USO but even the 1.8-10's are much heavier than the S&B's.

Thanks again.

New question: What rings are you guys using to bolt down your Schmidt and Benders?

I was thinking Talley fixed. I didn't want to have to go to a tactical mount unless I have to.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.