Rusty Remington 700 rebuild questions...changing 3006..

Dust270WSM

My wife's grandpa had a Remington 700 ADL in 30.06 and It has been abused! It's got a bunch of rust all over it so I'm going to rebarrel it, put in a new trigger and restock it.
First question is what's the best way to get ride of rust on the action?? It's a little to heavy for steel wool so I'm going to have to use a chemical or sand blast or ect.ect.. what would yall do to the action to make it better than new inside and out.
I figured I would have the bolt fluted so that would take care of the rust on it if yall know guys that do the bolts.

Second question is what calibers can I change it to???, I don't care for 30.06 ballistics. Magnums?? Change a bolt face..280 ackley??? Yall tell me. Thanks guys and gals..

I am not sure about the rust removal, I would run it by your smith. Good news is you shouldn't have to change bolt face to make it a .280 or .280 AI.

Jay

As far as rust goes, any reputable coating service will remove it and re coat to a color of your choice. I have experience with duracoat and have not had a problem with rust since. I believe cerakote is a very tough coating as well. The bolt face situation is easy. Use the search tool at the top left of the screen. Anything in that uses a standard bolt face will fit. Any magnum cartridge will require a smith to open the face up.

My wife's grandpa had a Remington 700 ADL in 30.06 and It has been abused! It's got a bunch of rust all over it so I'm going to rebarrel it, put in a new trigger and restock it.
First question is what's the best way to get ride of rust on the action?? It's a little to heavy for steel wool so I'm going to have to use a chemical or sand blast or ect.ect.. what would yall do to the action to make it better than new inside and out.
I figured I would have the bolt fluted so that would take care of the rust on it if yall know guys that do the bolts.

Second question is what calibers can I change it to???, I don't care for 30.06 ballistics. Magnums?? Change a bolt face..280 ackley??? Yall tell me. Thanks guys and gals..

WD40 and #0000 steel wool will do a lot but it won't remove deep pits which are likely.
Have you considered the Sherman cartridge in 6.5 thru 300? They will easily outperform the A.I.'s and reamers and dies are in stock.....rich

First thing I would suggest is talking to the smith about your options with the action. Most of them have a wealth of knowledge, and will be able too piont you a good direction. If you have more than one gunsmith in your area talk to them all. Ask around to get some advice on who does the best work. Duracoat is an option, I have done two of my personal guns. It's pretty tough stuff, but it does have its weaknesses. Never used any creakote. But I here that it works well too. I just had my Remington 1903 A-3 redone. By a local gunsmith, the main limitation for me was lack of bolt face, which cut any magnums out of the equation. 280 AI, 6.5-06 AI. Are two choices that I consider. Both are great long range flat shooting cartridges. I ended up staying with 30.06, I read a few articles on the 30.06 being used in long range matches. And those guys where using 28" barrels pushing 210 gr bergers at over 2700 fps. That is matching the book velocities on the 300 wsm, and not but maybe 150 fps slower than the 300wm. There is a lot bad mouthing the old .06, I don't really understand it. Different strokes for different folks I recon. You punch those numders into Ballastic program and you will see that the 06 pushing a 210 gr berger vld at 2700 fps stays subsonic to 1300+ yards, and doesn't drop below the 800 fpe mark until around 1100 yards. Which is enough energy to take elk sided game. These are just my thoughts on the matter, good luck and have fun with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.