Russian optics, any good?

hillsider69

Any body used any of the russian scopes and I am thinking of the "normal type" of say 4-12x50 not the side mounted kind. Seen the ad' from Kalinca optics (spelling?.
If anybody has used them I'd like to know what they thought.
Thanks

I have some russian stuff and you need to take things in context. THEY'RE "CHEAP" so ARE NOT USO/S&B/NIKON etc. But often robust and designed for semiautos.

The stuff that works TENDS to be the sidemount POSP stuff or scopes derived from them. The other newer stuff (like the 4-12 I think you're on about) on their site is either junk or overpriced - I know this because I went direct to several Russian factories via a friend in Moscow so know Kalinkas markups too. TRUE russian stuff is a swine to get out of Russia legally - belorussian stuff is WAY easier.

The simple VOMZ PILAD 8*56 is not a bad little scope scope for example.

What you will however find is that they tend to have old fashioned brown lens tints - this actually aids in poor contrast situations (fog) but not everybody likes it. Also the older designs are "moving reticle" designes (the crosshair is not always central) - with low mag scopes this does not irritate me - on higher mag it's a pain.

I'll put this in context - jest been to CZ shooting. Was a guy there using an SVD with a sidemount POSP4*42 - he did not come last.

I have one (no longer made) Belorussian scope that I'd put up against an S&B at night - a simple 4*48 - useless during the day but at night the optics work with the eye very well indeed.

BUT I DO NOT GET WARM FUZZIES ABOUT KALINKA. It's personal and without real foundation. I know there are others who've dealt with them and are happy.

But if you want a BUDGET scope - buy something Asian. Sad but there it is.

Ok Folks
Thanks for the replies, sorry for not getting back, been away killing bugs on young trees; spraying, the shootings not that good!
My main use is for a new 243 or 260 for shooting small deer (roe). At the moment it tends to be ranges from 50 to 400m.
What I am looking for is a good scope with some form of quick ballistic correction via the reticle (mil or bdc)with front focal plain so it works at all mags. Turrets would be nice for target practise, but are a bit slow when an animal pops up at 300+, they do not hang around. I have a 11 year old Lup 3-9x 50 that works ok at close range on a 22-250 and its good at dusk. So thats the size of glass I'm after.
Looked at Meopta, ior zeiss s&b. I like the ior best (solid and this is my working rifle, Im in forestry) but no FFP. Also the mp8 reticle seems to be a bit thin from what I hear. Not sure about the meopta ones in practical use.
I have used the ex ussr optics elsewere and found them ok but heavy.
I think my main problem is that here in the uk there are few places that I can go and look at anything but a narrow range of scopes or any shooting stuff. Shops tend to have a small number of items and a lot of old tired not well looked after firearms!

[ QUOTE ]
I have a 11 year old Lup 3-9x 50 that works ok at close range on a 22-250 and its good at dusk. So thats the size of glass I'm after.
Looked at Meopta, ior zeiss s&b. I like the ior best (solid and this is my working rifle, Im in forestry) but no FFP.

[/ QUOTE ]take a look at the IOR 2.5-10*42 FFP - nice!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.