Russian Optical range finders? Are these any good?

AJ Peacock

All, I've been looking for a Wild rangefinder with no luck. I just ran across these Russian units and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, especially compared to a Wild.

I already have a Swaro, but with a 338AM on order, I figured I should start looking for something that would work a little 'better' in long/flat terrain (thinking about Antelope in Montana this fall).

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=766

Thanks,
Don

[ QUOTE ]
All, I've been looking for a Wild rangefinder with no luck. I just ran across these Russian units and was wondering if anyone had experience with them, especially compared to a Wild.

I already have a Swaro, but with a 338AM on order, I figured I should start looking for something that would work a little 'better' in long/flat terrain (thinking about Antelope in Montana this fall).

http://www.deutscheoptik.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=766

Thanks, Don

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a long range range finder - the optical base is about 11 or 12 inches and accurate ranging will be limited to under ~800 or so yards.

This is more a sniper's rangefinder (308).

For those ranges, a pocket laser rangefinder would be the best choice.

Got two wild range finders in my equipment inventory. Purchased them several years ago and have never used them yet. I have no idea how they operate, but intend on learing as soon as the snow melts.

They have a stand of some sort, and come cased in a metal tube.

Where is your location? If you were anywhere close to Idaho we could hook up and try them out. I'd like to learn more about them so day, and actually see them in employment.

I've seen the russian tool before. I'm told the wild is capable of longer distance readings than this tool.

One thing these old rangfinders are is heavy. Man are they heavy.

[ QUOTE ]
Got two wild range finders in my equipment inventory. Purchased them several years ago and have never used them yet. I have no idea how they operate, but intend on learing as soon as the snow melts.

They have a stand of some sort, and come cased in a metal tube.

Where is your location? If you were anywhere close to Idaho we could hook up and try them out. I'd like to learn more about them so day, and actually see them in employment.

I've seen the russian tool before. I'm told the wild is capable of longer distance readings than this tool.

One thing these old rangfinders are is heavy. Man are they heavy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in Michigan, so it would be quite a trip to play with the rangefinders. However, would you be interested in selling one of them?

Don

I got a wild sent all the way to the UK from an E-bay firm "sports collect ables" I believe.

A bit of a gamble on my part but it arrived with all the parts for £154-00 + quite a lot of shipping money!

I calibrated it with my LRF 1200 and it is very accurate.

Have ranged things to 13KM ish???

Confirmed accurate ranging to 2000Mtrs.

Have got good/easy readings off Electric Radio controlled Targets to 1200mtrs.

Generally the wild is built to the highest spec and the optics are top class!

Reasonably easy to get repeatable readings with some practice.

Gerald

Peacock,

Have two complete rangefinders, and plan on keeping at least one for using. I may be able to part with one. Before I sell one, especially to someone on this forum, I need to do two things.

First I need to find out how to use them. Perhaps you or Catshooter can help me with this. After I have used them, and calibrate them, and they work I may sell. The are complete and in fair condition, not beat up. But I must use and verify they are in 100%working order before sale.

I have a Leica 1200 rangefinder to calibrate with and will try to break them out as soon as we get some warmer weather. However I must confirm they operate before I depart with one.

Some one want to help with instructions?

Shortshooter,

I'd love to help you, but I've never used one. Please put me on the top of the list for one, if/when you decide to sell.

Meanwhile, I'll look around for instructions etc.

Thanks,
Don

[ QUOTE ]
Peacock,

Have two complete rangefinders, and plan on keeping at least one for using. I may be able to part with one. Before I sell one, especially to someone on this forum, I need to do two things.

First I need to find out how to use them. Perhaps you or Catshooter can help me with this. After I have used them, and calibrate them, and they work I may sell. The are complete and in fair condition, not beat up. But I must use and verify they are in 100%working order before sale.

I have a Leica 1200 rangefinder to calibrate with and will try to break them out as soon as we get some warmer weather. However I must confirm they operate before I depart with one.

Some one want to help with instructions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Shortshooter...

I am working on a set of instructions for you. Should go out tonight.

If you don't want the second one, I would like it if the price is reasonable.

I shoot a 50BMG and the lasers just don't cut it.

Thanks for your efforts on the instructions Cat. I'll be back home tomorrow and anticipate looking at them, and hopefully learing. Was going to use them a couple years ago, but had to move out of state for employment, now I'm back home and ready to roll.

Going to Shawn Carlock right now to reserve a spot in his shooting class.

Thanks

Whoa!!! A Wilde for $1295 is not highway robbery but Brinks robbery.

Jerry Phillips in PA runs an optical business selling high end optics and rangefinders and his info is below. He routinely stocks the Wilde or the Barrs and Stroud for normally under $500. The $500 is the deluxe mint top end models, most are in the $250-400 Range.

His address is Jerry Phillips Optics
480 W. Richardson Avenue
Langhorne PA 19047

(215)757-5037

Also I have a set of instructions that I will try to get scanned and have available soon for people if I can post them here as a PDF file.

However, if someone has $1295 that they want to part with, I have a top end Barrs and Stroud in a custom box with instructions, yards-meters etc conversion sheets that I will ship to them for that price.

BH

I can describe how calibrated mine easily i think!!

Laser range finder makes it easy.

Two eye pieces one to look through one for range reading scale.

Slide open range scale window.
Turn end caps towards target.

there is only one thing to dial in that is the second hidden thumb wheel.

Here goes

Range 350mtr object with laser.

Look through wild and converge target with right hand control wheel (main and middle image lined up)

using second thumscrew under left cover, set scale to 350mtrs

cover thumscrew never to be touched again!

Done job.

First calibration thumscrew screw sets gap between images ( IE if you look at the top of a lamp post the tips are set to meet exactly but not cross or have a big gap).

This is designed to be set for each user.

Move it and you will see what i mean.

For the following ranging of objects move right hand control wheel to converge target in both images then read off range scale

Good luck

Gerald

Bounty hunter,
Thanks for the info. I thought that was high as well, but it was the only source I could find on the web. I'm sure AJ will appreciate it as well.
God Bless
Jim

[ QUOTE ]
Also I have a set of instructions that I will try to get scanned and have available soon for people if I can post them here as a PDF file.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got mine when they first came into the country. It was pricy (but not $1295), but came with an oak tripod, the lathe plate, sun filters and all the other junk - but no instructions.

I have a question. On the left side there is the smaller collar that covers the calibration knob. You have to turn the spring loaded slotted screw head (really a lock) 90 degrees to rotate the collar forwards to access the calibration knob. When you turn this knob, you turn the numbered dial.

When you turn the collar back the slotted screw head clicks shut so you can't "uncalibrate" it by mistake... typical Swiss ingenuity.

But if you rotate the collar "Backwards" (you don't have to turn the slotted screw), you find another knob that looks the same as the calibration knob, but this one is on the opposite side of the tube. This one turns easily, and doesn't seem to do anything.

Does anyone know what this second wheel/knob does??

Looking forwards to the instructions.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.