Running Yote

7 loader said:
Have any of ya'll had one run like this?
7 loader,
I had too many runners, some due to poor shot placement, so I stepped up to a .25-06. At first, I thought it might be overkill...but, soon found out that there's no such thing. :cool:

I asked several professional coyote callers at a predator expo, about the use of larger calibers for coyotes. They all said the same thing... "If you're not saving the fur and you just want to get rid of them, a bigger caliber is the way to go. It anchors the coyote and you're assured that he's going to die, even with poor shotplacement."

Just to clarify that conversation, they also stated that they weren't promoting poor shot placement, but rather a bad shot would put the coyote down until a follow-up or finishing shot could be made.

Bowhunter57

Might want to try Superformance under a 60. Shoot em fast enough and they'll work out of a 14 twist unless, and I doubt, I got the special rifle.
I'm a handloader. I loaded some 60 grain Nosler Partitions for my boys to deer hunt with. My gun would not stabilize these very well. I'm sure some 60 grain bullets with a different design would work just fine.

I'm a handloader. I loaded some 60 grain Nosler Partitions for my boys to deer hunt with. My gun would not stabilize these very well. I'm sure some 60 grain bullets with a different design would work just fine.

I should have been more clear. I meant the powder from Hodgdon called Superformance, not the loaded ammo. It's got most other powders beat by 200 fps with 60 gr bullets out of the 250.

Last edited:
I found that my scope was out a bit. I will try some of the superformance in my 22-250 and my wifes 243. I am going to use my 7mm rem mag untile I get better with the 22-250. I also plan to load up some #4 buck for the close encounters. thanks guys.

I'll add that even with the velocity increase, it shouldn't be stable but i haven't had wild groups or keyholing.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.