First yote

Shane G.

Hello all

I was out saturday getting ready to head home when I decided to set up in a feed lot over looking a nice big hay field along the river. The week before a buddy and myself walked up on a pup in this field and he bolted with out us getting a decent shot off.

I set up in a fence row and turned on my elec. caller for a few only to see and watch a stray cat about 500 yards out along the river. After a few more minutes I caught something in the hay a little closer and it was a yote pup about 300 out.

He didn't want anything to do with any calls I was giving and just wondered on down the field out of view because of a hilltop. I was able to slip under the fence and make my way on top of the hill that was blocking my view.

I finally spotted him again in the hay and got prone on my bipods held up 1mil and 1/2 mil left for wind and let one go. He started spinning and biting at his back so I fired another with a tad more wind and lost him after that. Finally got down and searched for about 20 minutes before finding him dead with the first shot tore open the hide right on his spine midway back,second shot went in and out the neck. Range was right at about 400 yards with a 22-250 shooting 55gr. polytips.
20101127151510.jpg

Yep got the fever pretty good. Went out about 2 weeks after getting that first one and got this male to come in to about 60 yards when I shot him. Called some more and about 30 minutes later another one came in and I blew the shot trying to get him before he seen the other dead yote laying there in the snow.
20101204172823.jpg

Called some more and about 30 minutes later another one came in and I blew the shot trying to get him before he seen the other dead yote laying there in the snow.

I've done the same thing, LOL! Hurried the shot and missed I mean. I've seen mixed reactions though on downed dogs.........alot of times, I've seen the incoming one just stop and smell the down one, believe it or not, it happens. Other times, I've seen them bolt and head for the hills like they got slapped in the face with a bolt of lightning!.......go figure?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.