ruger super red hawk question

oldfamily

I have a ruger super red hawk 44 mag with the 9.5 barrel. I can shoot it into a Copenhagen lid 6 times at 100 yards. What I am wondering how far could this pistol be used for? Will be used for hunting whitetails in the Ozarks of Missouri, and targets as far as I can work up to.

I have shot mine at targets out to 300 yards with suprising accuracy. On game a hot load in a SRH will easily take a whitetail put to 200 yards.

The problem becomed getting the bullet drop correct.

I would personally hold shots on big game to 150 yards and under with a scoped 44 mag SRH.

I would also recommend you use a heavier bullet for longer range shooting. Also I would recommend a quality LBT designed hard cast. At longer range you will not get much expansion with a HP or SP bullet and the wide nose on the LBT bullet designes are better on game anyway in my opinon.

Its all putting the bullet on the right spot with handguns and then getting penetration. With the heavy hard cast, the latter is never an issue.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.