.480 Super Red Hawk

MtPockets

Hi All!
I recently came across a .480 Ruger Super Red Hawk that be coming for sale shortly. I don't know the barrel length.
What I'm wondering is- did they have any issues that I need to be aware of and what would something like that run?
It sounds like the gun has very few shots through it and is in very good condition.
Thanks for the help.

I hear one of the main reasons ruger quit the 480 was they were afraid too many people were re-chambering to 475 Linbough. The 44 and 454 are more popular, but the 480 should be a heck of a round too.

The one I had had difficulty ejecting empties, just like many other 6 shot Rutgers. They did make a few 5 shots

Ruger lists the 480 in two different models on their web site. I have owned a Ruger 454 for 10+ years with no problems other than it is quite brutal to shoot.

I Like mine, made the mistake of not stocking up on projectiles, have some. Hornady dropped all of there offering's.
Speer still has 3973, 3978 Part numbers listed, have not located any yet. Hard cast may eventually be all that is left.
Just me, I can handle the felt recoil better then, a 44 mag., .460's are brutal.
I often wished for a bolt action version.

480 is 48k psi. 475 is 50k. Same pressure, same loads if loaded to same length. 480 is not a 475 special. You simply cut chambers to 1.4, drop 475 linebaugh rounds in and fire away with no issues. I have done that many times. Both of my own 480's are 475s now, and it really isnt even necessary unless you are using bullets you can't load long to linebaugh length in 480 brass.

If ruger cared at all about guys clambering guns, they'd never have built a single 45colt or 44 special or 38 special. Now those guns might actually break if you cut chambers and tried firing 454, 44mag, or 357 in them.

The only shortcoming the 480ruger has, is branding. its a 475 linebaugh, with mud on its face...thanks to rugers pathetic marketing.