Ruger Precision Rifle, a great buy

Wonder if this accuracy or quality of this rifle will include the Mod 77's.

I am pretty sure Ruger invested a lot of money on the equipment to hammer forge there own barrels giving them complete control over the building process. they used to buy there barrels and where at the mercy of there suppliers. I have several of the older model 77's the 22 caliber barrels I have are very accurate the 243 is ok the 30-06 was horrible until I fire lapped it now it's ok. I had a 7mm that made me so crazy I sold it and brother has the same rifle in 7mm and his shoots tacks. It used to be a real crapshoot as to wether you got a shooter or a lemon. I think there QC on barrels is much better then it used to be.

What ammo did you use, and where can a guy find one for under $1000.00 new?

I used Hornady Superformance 129g SST ammo. I got the gun from Doc's Gun Exchange in Florence, SC. Not sure what they are asking for them now. Took them about 2 months to find one for me. You can also try Southland Gun Works in Darlington, SC. They've been able to locate everything I asked them to find for me.

Same story with my 6.5. Shot 1/2 MOA out to 800 so far. load work up was super easy just used the old Hornady recipe on their box of Match ammo and it likes to be shot fouled. Cleaned it before I shot it and at 200 rounds it was still 1/2 moa and cleaned it just because. Have shot another 200 and haven't cleaned it yet, will see how long until accuracy fades. Mine doesn't walk but to be honest I don't shoot long strings in rapid succession so no claims on that question from me.

bd,
When you clean your RPR be sure to use a good copper solvent (Since Hoppes No. 9 is for carbon, not copper I use it for regular cleaning). Clean it with a nylon brush only and clean until the patches come out without any green color on them.

Your next 10 to 20 shots will lay down some more coppered make it a bit more accurate. Definitely 200 rounds means time to clean W/copper solvent.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.