Ruger Precision Rifle, a great buy

Litehiker

I've had my 6.5 Creedmoor Ruger Precision Rifle for a few months now. It shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards all day long AND with factory ammo (Hornady 140 gr. A-Max and ELD-M).

The RPR was "made to modify". The butt stock, pistol grip and forearm are all easily replaced. The Barrel uses an AR wrench to remove and/or set headspace.

Granted, a rifle this heavy is only good for deer stand hunting, if used for hunting at all. I got mine for competition in F Class and maybe later PRS.

My current mods:
1. Magpul pistol grip (it's more vertical than the Ruger grip & all my tools fit inside)
2. Little Bastard muzzle brake (helps me stay on target - but blasts those sitting beside me)
3. Midwest Industries panels on bottom of forearm (smoother for shooting off a bag)
4. LRI machined aluminum bolt shroud (mainly cosmetic)
5. TAB Gear sling
6. Atlas bipod W/QR lever on the mount

I put my Bushnell ERS 3.2 - 21 x 50 W/H59 reticle tactical scope on Nightforce Unimount base. Perfect pairing of moderately priced scope and rifle that both punch above their weight.

The most info on RPRs is found at the 6.5 Creedmoor Forum. Many of us on that forum have RPRs and like them.

Ruger really did a great job giving the marketplace something it wanted. For sure a hit!

How does the barrel do when it gets heated? This was something I was always curious about. How much does it start walking? I mean, most all barrels will walk some. I just happen to remember a specific Ruger that shot maybe 6 inch groups at 100 yards by the 10th trigger pull. A little heat to that barrel was a disaster. That was at least 10 years ago now though.

I know the rifle uses the Ruger American action. Does it use the Ruger American barrel also?

I'd REALLY like one of my friends to buy one. And then I can determine if all the hoopla is warranted.

I'm glad to hear you are having such success with yours.

We shot a monthly tactical match at Volusia County Gun Range last month and there were 2 there. They both shot well and Ruger has hit it out of the park with this one. When we start this match we start at 90-100 yards shooting out to 320. We go thru about 30 rounds in various drills with all of us shooting at once in prone. The one guy's 6.5 Creedmoor tends to walk a little when it gets hot. He told me he had a barrel at home ready to screw on after the match. My wore out 6mm Competition Match with 4589 rounds down it took me to a solid 3rd place. I hosed the 300+ yard mover and definitely should of had 2nd.(just couldn't resist adding that):) I will eventually end up with a RPR....

Ruger really did a great job giving the marketplace something it wanted. For sure a hit!

How does the barrel do when it gets heated? This was something I was always curious about. How much does it start walking? I mean, most all barrels will walk some. I just happen to remember a specific Ruger that shot maybe 6 inch groups at 100 yards by the 10th trigger pull. A little heat to that barrel was a disaster. That was at least 10 years ago now though.

I know the rifle uses the Ruger American action. Does it use the Ruger American barrel also?

I'd REALLY like one of my friends to buy one. And then I can determine if all the hoopla is warranted.

I'm glad to hear you are having such success with yours.

You can swing over and test run mine anytime hell might even have you set it up if interested? That is as soon as I get time to get to the gun shop and get it.. Had to have one after all the rave reviews.

You can swing over and test run mine anytime hell might even have you set it up if interested? That is as soon as I get time to get to the gun shop and get it.. Had to have one after all the rave reviews.

What cartridge did you get yours in? Is this the 6.5 Creedmoor you were talking about a while back?

My inlaw picked one up very nice rifle it was shooting 1/2" at 100 yards out of the box with Hornady ammo. I spent all of 1 hour devoloping a load and it was shooting 3/8". I would buy it from him in a heartbeat if he gets tired of it. The barrel is tapered more than most of our other guns and is a little trickier to use the magneto speed on but that is minor issue. I need to stop with my AR addiction go down and enroll in AR's Builders Anonamus and get one of those RPR's bought.

After running a 20 round box through my RPR on the first outing I noticed no "walking' of my hits. Gotta love a rifle that shoots this well for $1,000.

BUT... after the Ruger barrel is worn out I'll replace it with a Bartlein barrel in 5R rifling at maybe a 7.5:1 twist for heavier bullets instead of the factory 8:1 twist. Little things count at longer distances.

I may copper clean the Ruger barrel really well and "Fire Lap" it by running some handloads through it that have been impregnated with coarse, medium and fine grit from my NECCO Fire Lapping kit.
This made my Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker much easier to clean after I fire lapped it.

I'd like to post photos of my RPR here but when I tried all I got was a line of alpha-numeric gobbledygook that would not open to a photo.

Clicking on the "insert photo" icon does not work.
HELP!

I got one i n 243 back in October. It is the first rifle that all I did to it was put a scope on it and with in a few load changes it was a 1/2 moa out to 500 yards. I have done a little work on the trigger and got it to 2 lbs. It is heavy for deer hunting but no farther than I have to walk it is no problem in the blind. I enjoyed not having to glass bed and all that stuff. My longest kills have been 487 on an Armadillo and 483 on a Coyote right in front of the shot Armadillo LOL. Great rifle. I must be on a roll getting good rifles. I just build my first AR 15 and it is a tack driver too. The first load I tried was a 1/2" group. It is good to go. Dang I love both this rifles.

I purchases a RPR in 6.5 CM several months ago, and I was getting one hole groups at 120 yards with less than 10 rounds through the rifle. For less than $1k, I am very impressed.

I plan on adding a rail riser so I can mount my Armasite clip on NV so I can take it hog hunting at night.

I purchases a RPR in 6.5 CM several months ago, and I was getting one hole groups at 120 yards with less than 10 rounds through the rifle. For less than $1k, I am very impressed.

I plan on adding a rail riser so I can mount my Armasite clip on NV so I can take it hog hunting at night.

What ammo did you use, and where can a guy find one for under $1000.00 new?

What ammo did you use, and where can a guy find one for under $1000.00 new?

When they first came out they could be had under 1k, but the demand took off and it happened to be the holiday season to boot. Ruger couldn't produce enough to meet the demand. I've seen them selling upwards of 1800, no thanks. Give them some time and let the competition put out something similar and they'll be well below $1k again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.