Ruger Number 1 in .257 Weatherby

karlkostman

Hey guys I am looking for thought and your experiences concerning a Ruger Number 1 in .257 weatherby Mag. I am picking up a new one tomorrow and since I have not owned a number 1 in 30 years I am wondering what to expect as far as trigger, accuracy, are there things that I should be planning to do to the gun right out of the box? The last one I owned was in 76 and it was chambered in .220 Swift I had to work on the forearm a little but then the rifle shot pretty good always 1 MOA or better with factory ammo. When I bought the rifle it had a set trigger and that was a beautiful thing to shoot. How have these rifles changed over the last 30 years? What can I expect from the rifle I know the 257 Weatherby is a fantastic round since I have been shooting a Mark V in that caliber for the last 25 years for everything from white tail to Elk and everything in between. Thoughts on the new Number 1 is what I am interested in, and I will be mounting one of the new Long range Leupold scopes on the rifle.
Thanks much I look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Karl

I have a Lipsey Number 1 257 Wea. and I love it.
Yes, they have changed over the years. I had a 7RM "Red Pad" years ago & it did not group better than 1 1/2" & that was with careful loads using the 160 SBT. As a rule the older "red recoil pad" rifles did not group too well, needed forearm tweaking, etc. There were exceptions off course but the Reputation was made and locked in and they were buying cheap barrels for the Number 1 & M77's too!
The black pad rifles now have the Ruger tubes and Ruger makes good barrels now, cheapies like the American shoot better than one would expect.
I also have a 264WM Lipsey N1, both it and the .257 Wea. shoot very well. The 257 will shoot 1/2" (3-shot groups) with the cheaper Norma ammo. They of course are not the best platform for 600+ longer range shooting, it is easier to build or buy a bolt rig for that. These are my MPBR point and shoot rifles, where I hunt whitetails the max is 450 yds., the 257 is about as good as it gets for that. Check yours, mine has a 28" barrel, even better & with the SS action is is about the legth of a M700 Long action with a 24" barrel. I will be loading up some 100TTSX for the next load, from what I have seen I expect 3700-3750. It is a fine rifle.

I also have had the Recent Lipsey's version with the 28" barrel and still have 300 and 270 Wbys in the 1B. All are black pad and all have good enough triggers and all are easy to get .75 and better MOA with multiple bullet/powder combos. The only reason I sold the .257 is a guy out where I was hunting in SD didn't know they existed and wasn't going to let me leave the state with it. He is still shooting my 100 grain TSX load that go past 3700 FPS and will put 5 inside a 50 cent piece at 200 yards. The gun is amazing. Still has the same scope rib and associated eye relief issue and weighs a half ton, but worth it. It did actually have a better trigger than any of the dozen or so number ones I've had although I have never had a horrible trigger in a #1. The 300 and 270 are the only ones I still own and those triggers are just over 3 pounds with not a lot of creep and I am used to the over travel. The Lipsey's .257 had no creep and broke right at 3 pounds. That gun also liked 115gr. Partitions, 100 grain B-Tips, and 110 grain Accubonds. I never tried the 115 Bergers, but I seldom shoot past 400 yards so I like a little tougher bullet. Even with a bullet like the TSX Roys quarter bore can make a lot of jello inside a hundred yards.

Thanks a lot guys the rifle I bought is also from Lipseys and I do believe it has the 28" tube it sounds like the rifle will live up to my expectations and do all that I am looking for. I appreciate your time a lot and NOW look even more forward to picking up the rifle tomorrow and getting it ready to go out and see what I have!
Thanks again
Karl

Add me to the list of very satisfied Lipsey Ruger No. 1 .257 Wby owners. I concur with the above assessments on accuracy and trigger.

My wife and I used mine in Namibia this last June for multiple springbok, gemsbok, zebras, a red lechwe, and a couple of baboons with attitude. Ranges from 45 yards to a little over 300. It was unstoppable. I was using 115 gr TSX. I used a 110 gr Accubond last fall for the single most DRT whitetail buck I've ever shot at about 125 yds.

In Namibia, our PH had a little unspoken question mark in his eyes for the single shot, but after the first couple of animals he was hoping we'd use it on everything.

I think you're going to love it!

Well guys I got to see and handle the new rifle today and it looks beautiful even the wood is really good with lots of swirls in it, I was happily surprised with everything. Now the rifle is getting some trigger work the factory setting was 4.25 pounds I would prefer it closer to 2 pounds since it will be used for hunting along with punching paper out to 600 meters. I also needed to get 30 mm rings so I went with Leupold rings and the new version of the 4 to 14 magnification LRP Leupold scope I am getting excited about this project now! Thanks again you guys for taking the time to give me your thoughts on this one, its coming together very nicely!!
Karl

As an former owner of two #1s: (1) 6mm Remington #1B many years ago (1970's) re-barrelled to 257 Ackely improved (40 degree shoulder) and (2) relatively recent 22-250 heavy barrel #1B. Triggers were much better in the early guns and could be adjusted for pull and over travel. As I understand it, lawyers took the trigger adjustment down to one adjustment now (pull weight within the prescribed limit). The 257 Ackley was a tack driver, 3/8" groups fire forming

I have a pretty old heavy bbl. #1 in .223. Had a good gunsmith
work it over for accuracy and for the trigger. It shoots better than
an inch at a 100 yards depending on the load.
Zeke

I just bought a Lipsey's No. 1 in .257 Weatherby. Stunning wood! Haven't shot it yet, but planning to use it on a mule deer hunt this fall. Also just got a No. 1 in 6.5 PRC. Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.