ruger mdl 77 mk 2 .300 win mag???????

Gator26

i have been trying to decide for some time now on what rifle to start out with i allready own a ruger 77 mk 2 .300 win mag it seems to shoot fine but i dont know if it will work for long range hunting out to say 800 yd or more? is this rifle worth building on or should i save the money and get something else to start with? larger caliber? .338 RUM is allso something i like but once again i allready own the .300. thanks for the input guys.

How does the gun shoot now??

A 300 Winchester that shoots in the 1 moa range (less is better) can cleanly kill deer to 1000yds and Elk to 700 with the right bullets and decient conditions , even if the barrel is 24"

Is the gun bone stock or have you done anything to it?
How does it shoot now and with what loads?
How many rounds do you have through it?

I personaly would not build on a Ruger as I have grown to hate them from having to work on several , the side egeraly arn't strait and even and would greatly benifit from some "draft" and the 60 deg angled front action screw is a pain in the nuts to bed.
BUT , if you have the gun thats a big chunk of money saved and trueth be told the Ruger is a great desgine (old mauser style) and with a little effort they will make a fine shoot weapon

it shoots fine now i havent had it out past 100 yds so far just havnt found the time to do any serious shooting with it yet, im shooting winchester super cxp 3 180 gr powerpoints , im currenty trying to learn to hand load but for right now buying them is alot quicker and safer for now lol. the rifle its self is bone stock i bought it off my grandfather who used it on several elk hunts like i said i like the gun but if its gonna be a waist of time to try and build on it then ill just opt for something else.

i have been trying to decide for some time now on what rifle to start out with i allready own a ruger 77 mk 2 .300 win mag it seems to shoot fine but i dont know if it will work for long range hunting out to say 800 yd or more? is this rifle worth building on or should i save the money and get something else to start with? larger caliber? .338 RUM is allso something i like but once again i allready own the .300. thanks for the input guys.
i have shot mine with factory bullets out to 600 yards without a problem, only at targets.. just bought a reloader, will work out past that this summer.. it shoots the 150 grain winchester power points very well, the 180s as luck would have it shoot just as well, they just drop a touch more.. but still consistent groups..

I have a Ruger M77 MkII in .300 Win Mag, and with Hornady 180gr Heavy Mag ammo, it has shot as good as 0.6", 3 shot groups, at 100 yds. But I did put it in a Hogue pillar bedded stock and free floated the barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.