Ruger M77, MKII Triggers

Hugnot

I just finished installing a Timney trigger on my 6mm Creedmoor, M77 MKII. This is the 3rd Timney trigger fit I have done on M77 MKII's.

The job took about 1 hour, the contact point on the Timney trigger where is touches the rotating part of the Ruger safety needed to be filed down .068. I polished all surfaces with 400 grit, then cleaned up everything with carb cleaner finished with a puff on Hornady One-Shot cleaner & lube.

Opening up the stock to accommodate the slightly larger Timney trigger took about 15 minutes. I used a 5/16 round wood rasp & small half round wood rasp on the laminated stock.

I used the supplied Timney spring. Trigger pull is now about 2 pounds vs 4 plus pounds on the tuned-up Ruger trigger. This sure helps my real old hand-eye coordination needed for shooting good.

Thanks for the writeup!!

I've been using Wolfe spring kits coupled with some honing stones on mine.
With some careful work, getting a good 2# trigger pull is accomplished.

Yep - save $100 plus and tune the MKII trigger up. I got a good deal on the Timney and used it. All of my MKII's have had trigger work including lighter springs. The Hawkeye trigger is a big improvement - not needing a $100 plus Timney.

Yep - save $100 plus and tune the MKII trigger up. I got a good deal on the Timney and used it. All of my MKII's have had trigger work including lighter springs. The Hawkeye trigger is a big improvement - not needing a $100 plus Timney.
I used to do this service in my shop, it was a real time consumer, but when I was able to source Timber triggers, I just started fitting them instead of fiddling with factory triggers. I found creep to be the hardest part to address on the factory Ruger MK II trigger.
The Timney has zero perceptible creep that I can see, and they just break cleanly. All of mine were set at 2lbs from Timney, just as I requested.

Cheers.

The Timney for the Ruger is a good deal but pricy. I would agree that the Timney gives more certain results faster than a trigger job on a factory MKII trigger. I can save more than $100 doing a MKII trigger tune-up but the results are not as good as those provided by a Timney trigger replacement. I had 2 trigger jobs done by a pro go bad & have replaced those triggers with Timney's.