6.5 rsaum m77 mkii

FastBullets

I have a new to me Ruger M77 MkII that was rebarrelled and chamber for the 6.5 RSAUM. When I bought the rifle it came with reloading dies and some brass. I have sized the brass with the dies provided with no problems. I loaded the cases with 60, 60.5 and 61 grains of Retumbo. After reading several forums, that seemed to be a starting point. I was using 140 gr SST's. The problem came when I went to the range. I shot the first one, 60 gr charge. Bolt lifted open fine but the case was hard to come out. The extractor claw slipped forward on the bolt somehow. After I got the bolt open, I stood the rifle up on the butt and the case fell right out. I shot the remaining shells, 9 total, some had the same problem, some did not. Here is where it got weird, the shells I loaded at 61 gr came out and did not skip past the extractor.

Do I possibly have a bad extractor claw that is not retaining the rim correctly and when I go to remove it skips out of place? Is the bolt face wrong for the cartridge? I do not know what the rifle started life as. Should I take it to a gunsmith and have it looked over for improper head space or ....? I am pretty saavy but this has me kinda scratching my head. Thanks for the help.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.