Ruger m77 mkII scope ring issue

Kansaswoodguy

I have a Ruger m77 mkII 30-06 I have had for years purchased it new and ordered the extra high rings for a Leopold 3.5x10x50 scope mounted it gave it no more thought. I never could get better than 2" groups out of the gun and I have 5 other ruger m77's all better than moa guns but not this one noticed the other day the rear scope mount was not seated flat on the machined scope receiver area tight in the front but raised in the back. I took off the scope and played with the mount when loose the mount fits flat with receiver but as soon as I tighten it it raises the back of the mount .013" off the receiver. I called ruger customer support they felt the ring maybe the issue and are sending me a new one no charge I couldn't ask for better help than that. :) Anyone else ever ran into a similar issue?

Kansas, my son did with a M 77 he bought cheap. Like you Ruger made it right. Good customer service is a big plus.

When you get the new ring, take a lapping bar to the rig before remounting the scope. After a few strokes, clean away the compound and if they look really uneven, skim bed the scope. Same thing can be done between the ring and receiver if the new one doesn't fit better than the original.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.