ruger guns

BIGMEAT

after reading just about every topic on this entire sight, i have not yet read anything about ruger rifles good or bad. does anybody shoot, or modify rugers for long range? is there something that ruger does that is bad?

I've got on chambered in 416 WBY, shoots great. We're going out to shoot a new 338WM of my cousins today too, it's a newer MKII. I owned 2 of them 338WM's also, both Rugers, they shot great with 4350 and 250gr X bullets, that's all I shot in it. My other buddy Russell, his 338WM shoots fantastic, 1/2 - 3/4 with 225gr Remington CoreLoct factory ammo!

You're right, there isn't a ton of people around here posting about there Rugers, but don't take that as meaning they don't shoot, just ain't so... I've seen many more shooters from them, than not! My buddy Brian, him and his son Josh both shoot Ruger 338WM's, and they'll do under an inch with 250gr X bullets! I think Josh is 11 years old, but he's been shooting that 338WM for two or three years now. He got his moose again this year, about 200 yards in the swamp. This kid whips *** on most all my friends shooting trap with a 12 too!
Most all my experiences with the Ruger have been with the 338WM, as you can see.

I had a M77 in 7 Rem. mag. It was bedded in a fiberglass stock,had a brake, but other than that it was stock, as far as I knew. The thing consistently shot in the .4's for 12 shots, then I had to run a wet patch followed by 2 dries. It was my prairie dog gun for a few years. Wish I still had that rifle.

Until a couple of weeks ago, I had two. A VT in 223, that was literally as it came out of the box, and which had been an honest .5 moa rifle. Unfortunately, it was a bit on the heavy side, and was traded for a Rem 700 LTR (which is shooting ok, but not at the same level as the Ruger). The other is an RBZ in 243. This rifle was a 2 moa rifle with its factory barrel, so we tossed the barrel. Since rebarrelling it too is a half inch rifle, and is easily my most used rifle.

I guess I can confirm exactly what Brent said.
I did load development for my brothers Ruger 77 338 Win Mag. Most accurate load was a 250 X bullet over H4350 that is much less than 1" at 100. The only modification on it is a muzzlebrake.
I good friend also has one of their lightweight offerings in 30-06. It shoots a 165 Partition at .7". As these are the only Rugers I have had any dealings with I figure their accuracy out of the box is pretty good.
A gunsmith I know mentioned their barrel metal is harder than most for what that is worth.

I have an old style M77 338wm and an M77 mk2 30-06 and both shoot under an inch three shot groups with hunting loads. The 338 will shoot 1/2" with 250gr SMKs

My cousins 338WM shot okay today, I think he has some issues with the scope possibly.

Every time I shot it, it drove tacks, just in the wrong spot. After some sight adjustments it was moving TOO far with each adjustment... too far one way, then too far the other; I hate cheap scopes.

Eric seemed a little recoil sensitive, and it could have been him a couple times, but for the most part it seemed to be the scope ruining the day. Without shooting it a dozen times in a row or so, I couldn't really say how "he" shoots, I know how I shoot... Again, the CoreLocts shot great, definitely stayed tight.

Eric, he caught on fast though, had the MOA stuff down really fast, but wants to dial some out to 500 yards next time out to put it into action. I think he's hooked...
grin.gif

I hunt with an early M77, Douglas barrel in 30-06, McMillen stock, straight 6X Leopold. This rifle took a lot of game when it was a stock 25-06, and has taken a lot of game since the rebuild. Before this, I hunted with a No 1, in 30-06. But my varmint rifles and long range rifle are customs on two Rem. and one Nesika action, with Lilja barrels.
wink.gif

Bill

I have several Ruger 77's and 7 Ruger #1's. A couple of the #1's are wildcats with Lilja barrels and Canjar or Kleppinger set triggers. These guns not only have a great fondle factor but are great guns.I get alot of flack about my #1's but they hold there own when it comes time to shoot.I can shoot tennis balls at 500 yds. with my 22-6mm #1 and that ain't bad.I prefer the older Rugers but as far as I know there's nothing wrong with the newer ones.Good luck.

Greetings, Gentlemen

Sirs (and Madams)-
I am a new subscriber and this is my first posting, so please bear with me.
I found this site by "Googling" rebarrelling Ruger rifles.
I have a thought maybe someone out there could advise me on.
I have a #1 in 270 Weatherby magnum that I have killed many whitetails with since I purchased it new in 1988. I would like to take an M77 (old style with tang safety) and have it rebarrelled in the same caliber.
I don't currently have an M77 to proceed with, so could any of you experienced guys give me some thoughts on my idea such as to what I should look for in a used rifle and whom to trust to do the work.
This may sound far fetched, but I load everything I shoot in the #1 (it's never had a factory load shot in it) and I am blessed with a large supply of the Weatherby brass. The caliber is very lethal on Whitetails with 130 gr. bullets, and I live in Kansas where the "extra" reach often comes in handy.
Thanks to any and all of you who might respond

Last edited:
First off welcome Bob
Not familiar with the 270 Weatherby but if its made with 300 brass you will want to find a Ruger in 7 or 300 Mag so the bolt and feed rails dont not have to be altered.This time of year the pawn shops or gun shows might be your best bet to find one.
Wish I could remember who did the work on the 308Baer I bought used as its a real shooter. Had a local smith put an 8twist 22-250barrel on my old 243 and he did a very poor job of it as I have to shim the scope to get it to zero and the chamber is very rough but it does shoot OK.
Ruger Pics

Thanks for your input, MachV.
I was thinking a 7MM Rem. would be just right for this project. I am leaning towards having Shaw do the work as their prices seem fair and I have heard and read good things about them.
All of the brass I have ever used was factory .270 Weatherby and without comparing one to a .300 I can't vouch for their difference or sameness.
As I proceed with this, I will try to update this site.
Thanks for responding!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts