Ruger American -06

Waynzee

I bought this Ruger American 30-06 and plan to hand load for it, mostly to use for black bear hunting in N.E. PA.. Shots could range from 100 to 500 yards. Any advice on accurate loads with this rifle and 165gr. bullet and IMR 4350 or RL 17 powder (that is what I have lots of on hand) I would appreciate. Thanks

If you think you're going to be shooting out to 500 yards. I would step up in bullet weight. The 178 ELD-X bullet looks promising. I personally would go with the 200 ELD-X.
Both of those powders mentioned would work well with the heavier bullets...

Thanks guys for your info, the heavy bullet would be a better choice further out. Would you have any experience with the Ruger American in the 30/06? That is what I'm looking for.

I helped my S-I-L find a load for a friend's 06 RAR and the load that worked in it was Remington brass with 59 grains of H4831 and 180 grain Hornady Interlock bullets using a WLRP. We seated the bullets .010" off the lands. This load shot 3 shots in a line touching at 200 yds. with the inexperienced owner behind the rifle. It is the exact same load I have used in two other rifles in the caliber except I always used Winchester brass, and both of these rifles (1 Ruger m77,and the other a Rem. 700) were both extremely accurate. I had a load worked up with 165 grain bullets but it didn't have the stellar accuracy of the 180. I had a mild load in the 06 using 150 grain bullets that was nearly as accurate as the 180; same load but drop the charge to 58 grains of H4831. I have shot whitetail deer at distances to 500-600+ yds with this load.

These Americans will shoot if you feed them what they like! I have one in 270Win. and it is a tack driver.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.