Ruger 77VT vs Savage 12FV

ctrout

I already asked this question on the Savageshooters board but thought I would do a sanity check here as well because I know that there will be some bias on the Savage board toward the Savage rifle. Anyway, here's the question. If you had both a Ruger 77 MK II 223 Rem in target grey finish with a 26" 1:9 twist barrel and a laminate stock and a Savage 12FV 223 with 26" 1:9 twist barrel blued steel, very nice aftermarket trigger from SSS, and tupperware stock, assuming that they both shot equally well, which one would you keep and why?

Six months ago I would have probably said the Savage, Tuperware stock and all. That being because of experience with both rifles. The Savages that I have owned have easily gotten sub 1/2" groups. The one Ruger that I owned, and several more that I have "tweaked" for others, have been a struggle to consistently shoot 1/2", most of the time. I guess that has left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak, about Ruger rifles in general. Never been impressed to say the least.
Now it just so happens that my boss has a Ruger VT in .220 Swift that he wanted me to sight in for him using factory Hornady 40gn moly-coated VMax bullets. This rifle, with Leupold 6.5-20X50 LRT, has had nothing done to it and easily produces .3-.4" groups at 100yds. Now I'm impressed.
Personally, I would rather have the Savage action/barrel but in a laminated stock. I prefer the feel and look of laminated wood over cheap synthetic stocks. The HS Precision stocks are a different story and I would have a hard time deciding. I like both pretty good and that's really all that I have. JohnnyK.

Resale value of the Ruger would be much higher than the Savage, so you would have enough money for another nice toy in a different caliber or some really nice glass for the Savage. You also have the ability to reasonably easily switch barrels and bolt heads on the Savage if you want to shoot different cartridges.
On the other hand, those gray Rugers sure are awful pretty! Savages, not so much. There is definitely something to be said for aesthetically pleasing firearms.

Well, the overwhelming consensus between both forums seems to be "sell the Ruger." I'll probably put the 6-18 X 40 VX II from the Ruger on the Savage and move the 4.5-14 X 40 side focus Nikon Buckmasters to my Ruger 77/22 Mag and sell or trade the Ruger 77VT. Thanks for the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.