Savage 12FV New Gun with sticky bolt when cycling.

When I start with a savage action I lube the bolt first thing, then I visually inspect the (I call it raceway) that the bolt slides in. Any roughness at all and some fine scotchbrite dipped in that same oil run lightly over the sides. Now and this is something to watch and some don't, make sure the follower top that sits in the bottom with a z or coil spring under it is not backyards and not binding from having the stock off and not getting in place when putting back together. Now last thing I do and I'm not making this up....work the bolt back and forth at least 50 times or so. Takes off anything that may try to bind or slow bolt movement. As the final check I hold the gun vertical with bore facing up and lift the bolt handle till lugs are clear and see if it falls on its own simply from its weight. If it doesn't check that follower for being backwards or tilted slightly when its not seated right. I know that sounds envolved but I learned early that no they aren't high dollar actions but my entire process takes less time then when I just typed it and it will make the action smooth from day one.

I hate to say it but maybe a group buy by a large seller may get (shall I say the guns that didn't do as well for quality control?) I know they used to use the closer tolerance actions for tactical and varmint/target assembly for sure. I used to always buy actions from NSS that were removals from these guns just for that reason. Dave

If I can get it to slide without having to gab the rifle with both hands it will be fine and I hope it shoots well. When I tried a couple of them in Cabelas they all seem to be sticky and would hang up as they went across the feed lips. Out of the couple of rifle I looked at the one that the clerk brought from the back slid the best. Its a cheap rifle but generally the savages have been good shooter and thats what I really care about the most. It will be my off season practice gun and maybe some doggies or if it proves to be a really good shooter I'll take it mule deer hunting but I have a Sendero in 264 win and one in 300 Rum. I also plan to revamp my 6.5X284 to either a 6.5 Sherman or a 280 Sherman since I dont have something in 7mm. The wife also has a 243. So I have a few calibers covered..

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.