Ruger vs Savage

blygy

So I'm looking for a 22 hornet.. The CZ is out of my price range..

Technically the ruger 77/22 target is as well but I might be able to swing it @ $700 new.

The other option is the Savage model 40 but of course the dealer with it @ $460 doesn't have any.. but I found it for $570.

So does one shoot better than the other??

I'm planning to try the 36gr Varmint Grenade for beavers.. My longest shots will be 100 yards probably. I know this isn't exactly long range but this is where I come to get my gun info...

Any other things I should look @???

Thanks guys

Technically the ruger 77/22 target is as well but I might be able to swing it @ $700 new.

The other option is the Savage model 40 but of course the dealer with it @ $460 doesn't have any.. but I found it for $570.

So does one shoot better than the other??

I'm planning to try the 36gr Varmint Grenade for beavers.. My longest shots will be 100 yards probably. I know this isn't exactly long range but this is where I come to get my gun info...

Any other things I should look @???

Thanks guys

I don't own one myself, but a friend of mine has the Savage. No question to me, if I was looking for a 22 Hornet thats the one I would buy...if you want just a little more have your smith run a K-Hornet reamer into it.

BTW: The Hornady V-Max seems to perform and shoot better for him that the much (over?) hyped varmint grenade.

I own 2 Savages (300 WM and 223) and you can't go wrong with thier accuracy!!!! Both are 1/2 MOA with my handloads.

You might want to double check on the price of the CZ. CZ USA has the 527 Hornet MSRP at $685. I special ordered a 527 in 221 Fireball last year for $549 rings included.

As for accuracy the CZ and the Savage are tied for first and the Ruger comes in a distant fifth. My CZ 527 will punch .5 or less five shot groups all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.