Ruger vs Savage

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by blygy, Apr 22, 2008.

1. blygy

blygy Well-Known Member

So I'm looking for a 22 hornet.. The CZ is out of my price range..

Technically the ruger 77/22 target is as well but I might be able to swing it @ $700 new.

The other option is the Savage model 40 but of course the dealer with it @ $460 doesn't have any.. but I found it for $570.

So does one shoot better than the other??

I'm planning to try the 36gr Varmint Grenade for beavers.. My longest shots will be 100 yards probably. I know this isn't exactly long range but this is where I come to get my gun info...

Any other things I should look @???

Thanks guys

2. blygy

blygy Well-Known Member

Well i found a remington 799 reasonable.. Does any one have any experience with these???

3. Forester

Forester Well-Known Member

I don't own one myself, but a friend of mine has the Savage. No question to me, if I was looking for a 22 Hornet thats the one I would buy...if you want just a little more have your smith run a K-Hornet reamer into it.

BTW: The Hornady V-Max seems to perform and shoot better for him that the much (over?) hyped varmint grenade.

4. magicofmt

magicofmt Well-Known Member

I own 2 Savages (300 WM and 223) and you can't go wrong with thier accuracy!!!! Both are 1/2 MOA with my handloads.

5. blygy

blygy Well-Known Member

Well I found a Savage model 40 and went ahead and ordered it... Also picked up a Bushnell trophy 3-12 to put on it.. We'll see how this combo works..

Blygy

6. steve4102

steve4102 Well-Known Member

You might want to double check on the price of the CZ. CZ USA has the 527 Hornet MSRP at $685. I special ordered a 527 in 221 Fireball last year for $549 rings included.

As for accuracy the CZ and the Savage are tied for first and the Ruger comes in a distant fifth. My CZ 527 will punch .5 or less five shot groups all day long.

7. blygy

blygy Well-Known Member

Are you in the states by chance??? Even though our Dollars are now very close in value Canadian Retailers are still gouing us.