ruger #1

asa

I was wandering if a ruger#1 in 338 win mag would make a good long range rifle. any advice would be appreciated

[ QUOTE ]
I was wandering if a ruger#1 in 338 win mag would make a good long range rifle. any advice would be appreciated

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome aboard asa.

I'm assuming you already have the #1 in 338 Win.

She may be a bit finicky as to vertical dispersion but when you get it shootin' good it'll do for long range. It may shoot a bit of a rainbow but there's nothing wrong with that.

Shooting 250gr Sierras and 252gr Wildcats I figure my 338 Win was good for a bit over 900 yds.

buffalobob, here, shoots a #1 in 7 Mag and it works pretty good.

I have a #1 in 375 H&H that is accurate and fun to shoot but the bullets have itty bitty drag chutes that open up at about 350yds which keeps if from being a long ranger.

Good luck and have fun.

ASA,

Welcome aboard. The #1s generally shoot pretty well but point of impact can shift as a result of differnet holds on the rifle while shooting. There are some tricks to do like adding a forend hanger adjustment on the rifle which helps quite a bit at times but they can still be prone to POI shifts.

Accuracy generally is not effected much, just where the bullets hit. Some will be slight enough to hardly notice, others will leave you scratching your head as to why the bullet hit where it did.

As a precision rifle builder, I love the Ruger #1 for its looks and as a general big game rifle for hunting out to 400 yards or a bit farther. Certainly there are #1s out there that will shoot WAY past this range but for the money a good bolt rifle will get you far more consistancy on average.

I have a #1 in 458 Lott and love it. She is a little ****y to shoot with a 510 gr pill at 2400 fps but its always fun to shoot and is suprisingly accurate for a big bore with open sights. It will easily hold 1.5" at 100 yards with open sights.

I have always wanted to scope the rifle but it would just take away from the true purpose of this type of rifle, up close and personal with open sights!!

Its a much different beast they you are talking about thought. IF you have the rifle now, best way to find out what it will do is shoot it at longer range and see. YOu may have one that will give you want you want!

Kirby Allen(50)

As said, the #1 can be sensitive to what and how you rest the forend. The foreend is on a hanger bar. The slanted foreend screw can be used to adjust barrel tension and find a good pressure that gives good groups. The screw will work loose and you have to reset it so you have to know where you had it set. Various shims can be attempted and there is the Hicks accurizer as Kirby mentions. What I have found is that a towel or your hand underneath the foreend absorbs recoil and helps prevent the forened from causing everything to jump randomly up in the air. Many guns are heat sensitive and my #1 is such a gun. I can get two rounds out of the barrel before it starts to walk. If you can't kill what you are shooting at with two rounds you need to quit shooting anyway and figure out what you are doing wrong. For what ever reason the scope placement is not right for many people and we use extension rings to get it back far enough to make us comfortable.

There are some guns which are just pleasing to shoot and to carry around and the #1 is one of those. But, I am going to rebarrel mine sometime in the next six months or so into something like a 22-250AI. If you are going to build a longrange hunting rifle from scratch then you should take Kirby's advice and get a good bolt action and throw the magazine away and have a benchrest follower glued in so it is single shot. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thanks for the welcome and info. I do not have this gun but was considering it. I would like to start some long range shooting/hunting. I oringinally wanted a 300wm , but talking to some people they suggested 338. So I thought I would get the opinions of others. Always liked the remingtons and have heard/read lots of good about the savages. To some it up looking for a stock rifle and cartridgecombo to shoot big game out to 1000 yards.( maybe 300 or 338 rum? )
thanks

Well, in that case I'd heavily recommend a Savage in 300 RUM.

You'll be gambling a bit but the odds are you will come out on the good side.

I'd recommend a REM but you can get into the Savage less expensively and apply the difference towards a higher end scope. For LRH the scope is as important as the rifle.

You can start with a Savage and do any customizing to it that you can do to a Remington and have equal results, only less expensively.

PM BJ Bailey or lerch on this board and get some straight skinny on the options.

I would agree with everything Roy said and add that there is a Remington Sendero in 7 RUM down in the Classified section that would you very well for what you want.

A Ruger #1 with a 30" barrel is still shorter than a bolt rifle with a 24" barrel not a bad thing...I have a friend that has 3 with Hart barrels that shoot great all are 338/378Wby, and don't you know he will not part with one of them!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.