Ruger #1

I have one and had another #1. The one long gone was an early one with the double screw adjustable trigger. Chambered in 6mm Remington, and it never shot under 1.5" regardless of what I did, in the early 1970's. The barrel had three tight spots in it (from pushing an upset 22 slug down the barrel). Had a new Shilen 257 barrel installed, in 257 improved (40 degree shoulder), shot great long gone now, wish I still had it. The current one is a 22-250 heavy barrel varmint which is ok, the trigger is not to my liking, have to find a good smith to install the new trigger I have for it.

I load for 7x57 and found that you have measure cases for the proper length . I have that some of the cases are shorter than the stated length. Resized 6MM rem cases do not work. I reject the short cases and get good results.
I had a Ruger #1 in the classic caliber 375 H & H and wish I still had it. I horse traded it for a Winchester MDL. 70 in 7 rem mag. I felt it was a little big for these small California deer. I do have a Ruger 77 MKII in 243 improved and I am very happy with it. I just purchased a Ruger 77 MKII VT. in .223 rem and it shoots small clusters The VT is a little heavy to carry trudging in the mountains.

I purchased a used No. 1 in 458WM to build a 338/378 Wthrby Mag in the late 80s.
Accuracy was so-so. Never liked the trigger pull, never like the safety, never liked the difficult extraction should the primer start to flow into the excessive gap surrounding the firing pin in the falling block. Never liked the forearm contact with the barrel and the implications to POI/accuracy. Seemed finicky and I blamed forearm hanger system, poor trigger and long lock time. Pull the trigger and wait for the shell to fire.

You may just have to settle for good enough is good enough.

Shot several moose & several caribou with it. Finally lost the enchantment with the rifle design. No more Ruger single shots since then...

Last edited:
.....You may just have to settle for good enough is good enough.
........Shot several moose & several caribou with it. Finally lost the enchantment with the rifle design. No more Ruger single shots since then...

Lacking the enchantment it can be difficult to put in the work....If you aren't enchanted, buy a good bolt action.

I really like the ruger no1. As previously stated varying pressure and varying rest points on factory forend can make for large groups or poi change. I've not tried aftermarket forend solutions so can't commit. I hunt with mine when a rest that is mostly under receiver is a sure thing or if unsupported shots are short. Definitely try as many different bullet makes as you can. I reload for a buddies Browning BAR and finally just this weekend found a bullet that it likes after many disappointing outings. Also if reloading, my no1 likes slower powders that fill case without reaching upper pressure limits. Good bolt guns are definitely more accurate on average, especially since they get a the new trigger improvements. Browning high wall/Winchester 1885 falling block is (in my option) more inherently accurate if a handy dandy single shot for long range is a must. I plan on keeping my high wall and no1 for the rest of my life regardless if my bolt guns group better. Good luck to ya

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.