Ruger #1 in 223 rem

I had a 338 in a #1. My local gunsmith and I tried for a year to make it shoot straight with no luck at all. Beautiful rifle, but one of the worst shooters I ever bought. I'm not saying they all are, just that mine was.

I have the opportunity to buy a Ruger #1 in 223 with a 25" barrel which will mainly be used for target shooting out to 600 yards.
My question is is the #1 accurate enough for this?
If not I'll get a rem 700 bdl varmint which seems to be up for it.

It's your money and your fun, so please don't think I'm throwing shade on your idea. To me, the 223 and the no.1 seem like an odd pairing.

I have one of he first #ones in stainless laminated. It's in the 300 win mag and used it in the mountains of northeast Montana.Harvested a mule deer at 440 yards and I was very comfortable shooting 500. One of the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. Don't shoot it anymore because I went with a 300wsm in Feather wt Winchester with same accuracy.Will never sell it, pass it on to my son and grandson.

I have the opportunity to buy a Ruger #1 in 223 with a 25" barrel which will mainly be used for target shooting out to 600 yards.

I've seen some #1's shoot great groups and some struggle, so it depends. As for shooting the 223/5.56 at 600, we use fast twist 1/9 to 1/7 and shoot 75 to 88 gr bullets. These are also used on the 22 cal F class at 600/1,000 yds.

Personally, I use an 1/8 twist and the 80gr AMAX with very good results on both ranges. So, my taste would run to the R.E.M. 700 or similar. One year, I did use a Savage 112 BVSS in 1/9 with 68/69's on the 600 with acceptable performance, but decided to mount a new 1/8 twist for 75/80's for better wind drift control.

If wind is not a factor, many of us shoot P-dogs at and beyond 600 with the 55's. YMMV

I'm not much of a Ruger #1 fan. I was at one time and had a set of four custom built with Shilen barrels and supposedly the best bedding that the state of knowledge at that time would allow. I had one converted to rim fire and chambered in 22LR, one in 22 Hornet, one in 270 Win and one in 375 H&H. These were to be my hunting battery with all stocks, scopes, triggers identical so that I could pick up any one of them and be supremely familiar. The only one that was accurate enough to suite me was the 375. It shot like the 300 slickboyboo posted. All the others had to be constantly tuned to keep them at even one MOA and zeros shifted depending upon the rest used more than a stiff forearmed bolt rifle. They were a fun gun and I loved the looks but just couldn't live with the wandering zeros.

I did have a #1 in 220 Swift. The best group I ever got with that rifle was 1.75 at 100 yds. My friend purchased the .220 Swift in the M77. His rifle was a tack driver. I eventually sold the #1 and shoot all bolts. My best grouping rifle is a Rem 700 short action in .223 Rem with a 1:9 twist. It I had to do it over, I would opt for a 1:7 twist.
A bolt is in my opinion an inherently more accurate action.

.......All the others had to be constantly tuned to keep them at even one MOA and zeros shifted depending upon the rest used more than a stiff forearmed bolt rifle. They were a fun gun and I loved the looks but just couldn't live with the wandering zeros.............

..........I've had to change everything on a bolt gun to make it shoot.....I've changed everything on No. 1's to get it shooting. Cost wise it's a wash.

.........Wandering zero's, and groups blowing up can be fixed with a synthetic stock, pillar bedded front and rear.

........Oregunsmithing makes a nice stock, does good work. Wayne's trigger job is also as good as it gets. I have a Canjar trigger in the safe I was going to use, but no need after the factory was properly worked.

The ruger #1 is a awesome rifle. I have one in a 218bee very accurate out to 300 yards. The #1 in a 223 will be amazing, with good load development it will shoot sub MOA groups. If i was you id pick it up

I am told that if it doesn't perform as accurately as you'd like, look at the forearm and how it fits. Apparently some have a very tight fit and that can put pressure on the barrel, resulting in poor acc. A gunsmith I knew fixed one for a friend some years back and it was supposedly a lot better afterward...refit the wood and relieved the pressure. Wish I could tell you more about the actual fix but unfortunately both of those gents are now hunting with the Great Spirit...

I loved the #1's, but you would have much better luck tuning a Savage Axis to shoot small groups than a #1. I hate to think of the money I poured into #1's.

IMG_2290.JPG
My two most accurate rifles, both 500 yard hunting ,shooters.

The very first question to be answered is, how much do you like the RUGER #1?

I have "loved them" since I saw that first magazine ad way back when! And have owned a number over the years, every one a joy to own if for no other reason then owning such a beautiful rifle.

By the way, the RUGER #1"B" has a 26" barrel and not a 25" barrel.

Within the last three months I reclaimed, bought and brought home a #1 "B" - .223 that I built up in the early 80s. From that rifle, I have on my "brag board" a 5 shot group of 3/8", 4 of which went into 1/4".

Brass Lake City - 70, CCI #450, Hornady 50gr SX, 25gr of IMR 3031.

The wood used to stock this rifle would be AAA grade highly figured Black Walnut, the wood from which was taken to Kathleen Forster a week ago today to be checkered.

Kathleen is a very talented artist and will complete this beautiful rifle with some of her well done checkering.

When the rifle again came into my hands, it was clear the rifle has been a safe queen as it looks as beautiful today as it did those many years ago when I stupidly sold or traded it away.

I doubt the rifle has been shot 200 times in the past 35years, so the barrel will be in almost new condition.

I have over 80 rounds of test loads with three different bullets and three powders waiting for Spring and warmer weather and of course April when Kathleen will have completed her work.

Will a RUGER #1 in 223 meet your level of desire? You can only find out with testing/shooting and load development to find out one way or the other.

I'd say if you do not have a fondness for the #1 to begin with, you will find something to not like about that rifle and will soon be moving on to another.

Then, the range at which you desire to shoot. Is the .223 really the best choice?

For years, I have used a method developed to fully float the forend on any #1s which passed through my hands. This allows for no wood to metal contact, while still making for solid attachment. It works.

The rifle I recently reclaimed, while the forend is bedded, it is not floated. And providing it still groups close to the level of that target fired March 6th, 1982 I will not change the bedding.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Attachments

• DSC_0017 (1).JPG
    DSC_0017 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 164
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.