Rookie to Wyoming

This will be my first hunting trip out west and will be hunting pronghorn. I'm used to the row crop fields and hollers in Missouri. I've read a lot about cactus of some sort and getting needles in your hands and knees from stalking. What's everyone's recommendation for leather gloves? I'd like something not big and bulky as close to your typical early season lightweight hunting glove. Thanks in advance for any input.
The cactus is tuff to see when yur crawling on a stalk and it will mess u up..I learned hard way many hrs ago. I use pads on pant, elbow pads and sturdy elk gives (not thin elk gloves). Even when 95 plus! The little pear cactus quills will stay in you and r hard to get out..

The cactus is tuff to see when yur crawling on a stalk and it will mess u up..I learned hard way many hrs ago. I use pads on pant, elbow pads and sturdy elk gives (not thin elk gloves). Even when 95 plus! The little pear cactus quills will stay in you and r hard to get out..
The "hair quills" are a real pita (literally). I've sat in them several times....i bet it was funny for a couple of hunters that watched my son pulling them out of my backside on my first antelope hunt in 2007.
Since found that "duct tape" of all things will work wonders pulling the "hair quills". Always have it with me on western trips. Everyone should have duct tape anyway!...lol...

Second....got two fang marks from a baby rattler bite on the back of my right hand....didnt set me back at all, shot a lope buck the next day within a couple hundred yards of the snake bite. Luckily the fangs just "hooked" my skin with little penetration.
I stuck my hand in a pile of bulldozed sage brush while building a makeshift blind about a half mile from camp the day before season.
Lesson not only watch where you walk but also keep your hands to yourself!
Seriously since 2006 hunting in WY & MT myself & my son's have only encountered less than 10 rattlesnakes.
20200625_205242.jpg

I have hunted prairie goats in Wyoming on several occasions. Yes you will encounter cactus. Just look before you leap and you will be ok. Some spots are thick with cactus while others are almost devoid of it. Take some good glass for spotting and a flat shooting rifle. Your shots will probably be in the neighborhood of 200-400 yards if you can stalk. My closest was right at 200 yards while my longest was over 400. Great hunts.

I use the thin leather work gloves that you can get at any farm store. You can find them in a yellowish tint or creamy whitish color. Tracor Supply, Orschelns carry them. I have seen them in our local hardware store too. About twelve-15 bucks. I keep a pair in my shop and a couple in my truck. Great work gloves. They have saved my palms on multiple occasions. I also use knee pads. I hunt hard and do quit a bit of kneeling, crawling, etc. Last season I let my guard down, took my pack off for a break and plopped my *** down right on a cactus. Not fun.

I'm also a rookie hunting Wyoming this year. My buddy told me also about the cactus, and rattle snakes. I hunt in Northern California and always find the snakes. I just bought a new pair of Danner boots. Hoping I wasn't having to put on my Irish Setter snake proof boots. Sounds like I'm wrong. I'm not worried about the cactus but those dam snakes. I liked the idea about the duct tape for the smaller cactus. I'm going to be hunting Mule deer in Laramie. Good luck with your hunt get a nice antelope.
Jason

I'm also a rookie hunting Wyoming this year. My buddy told me also about the cactus, and rattle snakes. I hunt in Northern California and always find the snakes. I just bought a new pair of Danner boots. Hoping I wasn't having to put on my Irish Setter snake proof boots. Sounds like I'm wrong. I'm not worried about the cactus but those dam snakes. I liked the idea about the duct tape for the smaller cactus. I'm going to be hunting Mule deer in Laramie. Good luck with your hunt get a nice antelope.
Jason
Thank you, good luck as well.

This will be my first hunting trip out west and will be hunting pronghorn. I'm used to the row crop fields and hollers in Missouri. I've read a lot about cactus of some sort and getting needles in your hands and knees from stalking. What's everyone's recommendation for leather gloves? I'd like something not big and bulky as close to your typical early season lightweight hunting glove. Thanks in advance for any input.
I've done a lot of hunting in Wyoming for Speed Goats. Done lots of sneaks, crawled long distances and took home tons cactus home in my knees, hands and forearms. Had cactus in one kneecap for over 6 months. Sometimes it takes MONTHS for cacti to fester and leave the body.
The worst part is, often times you NEVER even see the cactus until it's in ya.
This was my remedy.
Motocross plastic forearm guards, construction knee pads, medium to Hvy weight leather gloves. Cut a slot in the trigger finger of your shooting glove. That way if you don't have time to remove it you car still feel the trigger. You may want to camo paint the stuff up.
A great hunting opportunity/shot can easily be ruined at the very last second because of the pain cactus delivers. "been there, done that"

Go prepared. Enjoy your hunt, be safe, shoot straight.
Wyoming is a GREAT state and they have an abundant supply of Speed Goats.
Hope you shoot a big'n

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.