Antelope rookie

Kgkimerer

Ok, first time 'lope hunter. I am getting preference points for Kansas(I'm a native) and although I've hunted deer forever, this is new. Where do I start?

My suggestion would be to visit the area you intend to hunt well before hunting season and spend a few days learning all you can about where the Antelope are and how they move. Then, a few days before season opens, set up camp and use that time to fine tune what you previously learned.
Know this about Antelope. In my experience, when they move in herds they may stop and graze and one of them (often a female) will stand guard as sentry. They have a good sense of smell, can hear a caterpillar crawling from fifty yards away and have the visual acuity of superman. They can spot movement as minor as blinking eye lids from half a mile away.
Now, having said that, they're inquisitive and if they're not spooked they'll often move closer to check out something that's strange but does not appear to be a threat.
One of the more successful techniques I've learned about has been to anticipate their movement, getting ahead of them, and lying in wait; or working stealthily toward them (usually belly crawl through cactus) to get within range.
If they haven't been shot at or harassed yet in a given season they tend to be easier to hunt.
They're a challenge to hunt; that's why we call it hunting rather than shooting.
Good luck ..................

A trick I use here in Wyoming is glass the draws. Goats seem to like to be in the lower areas between hills. If you catch them running just wait, and watch where they go. Goats can run for miles, but they usually don't unless they are chased. When I was a kid the older guys I hunted with would try to out run them (((DON'T))) you will destroy your rig trying to out run them. Just be patient glass round, and when you see them figure out how you can get to them. If they have been shot at usually if they see you you won't be able to get within 500 yards of them.

BE PATIENT

Antelope is one of my favorite game to hunt. Where I hunt, there's a lot of draws/ravines where they can easily hide and escape. They have a very keen eye sight and as noted they can ran fast and cover a lot of grounds.

Most of my successes are near a fence line. Even though they can jump over a fence line, they'll scale the fence line for their best escape route. Find their escape route and take a nice vantage point and wait for the best opportunity. I have seen more game by patiently waiting from my favorite spot than moving them myself.

3 years ago, I took an airman out from GA for his first ever western hunt. His norm shot was on a stand ~50 yards. When we got to my favorite spot, I spotted a small herd about 800 yards or so feeding. When he asked "what do we do now?", I said "take a nap". He said "what?". He thought I was kidding but I set my alarm for a 15 minute snooze. Lo and behold, the herd slowly made it to the fence line in front of us <300 yards. :)

Just sharing some of my previous hunts ...

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/putting-antelope-out-his-misery-78986/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/another-successful-mt-speed-goat-hunt-62066/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/filled-my-antelope-tag-today-48081/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f85/my-2008-montana-antelope-hunt-37116/

Good luck!

Kg, antelope are very curious, have seen them walk a mile to investigate a shining ballon caught on a fence. I read once they have 14 power eyes, so stay lot of sight when stalking. Good luck

They like to crawl under fences instead of jump them. They will use the same section of a fence a lot that allows them to crawl under easily. It's a good place to wait for them.

They also tend to run in a large circle when spooked. If you find a herd with a good buck but spook them. Just wait and in an hour or so and they likely will circle back to right where you spooked them. I think this is in part due to their curiosity that others have mentioned.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.